• One of the greatest emotional advances I made in my life was realizing that I had control over who I gave my empathy to. I was being heavily manipulated by many people in my life prior to that and it applies to fascists, too. Fascists get the, “they’re such normal people if you follow them around for a day” treatment by default. And that is a political choice, one we can reject.

• TheDialectic [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I think I have the opposite problem. I want to be in a place where I have empathy for everyone. I feel like it is important to be able to fully math out why some people deserve the choppy. Cause like. Try to picture the full scope and beauty of a human life and then they fuck it up by being a nazi chop chop

• mayo_cider [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I used to be a people pleaser, but as I started understanding and trying to get rid of my internalized bigotry and toxic attitudes, I basically managed to channel the misplaced empathy from people taking advantage of me to marginalized people

Of course there were shitloads of other factors to growing a spine, but when it finally came to cutting off people, I didn’t feel any guilt because it was easy to see how misplaced the empathy had been