• SatanicNotMessianic@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I was colleagues with one professor who hated academia so much that he refused to take on any grad students who wanted to go into teaching.

• hexaflexagonbear [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

? What? That’s like the status quo. There’s famously a bias among professors against teaching-stream grad students, they prefer grad students who attempt to become professors as well. Unless you mean the professor prefers people who seek careers outside of academia?

• SatanicNotMessianic@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I am talking about a single person. I’m not going to name them for obvious reasons but they are in an area where the commercial desire for PhDs is extremely high, and the compensation vs that of academia is also higher. They were disappointed with the PITA and politics aspects of academia that they made the decision that their line was ending with them. We sometimes for our own amusement trace lines of descent in academia - who was a student of whom, and what that means for their core ideas and approaches - and he decided that he would not be bringing any more academics into the world.

• fossilesque@mander.xyzM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It’s to protect them. Academia is not nice to those who just want to do X due to the publish-or-perish model. You can teach with a master’s.

• whereBeWaldo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Might be true but I am extremely glad to have a thesis supervisor as a student. I just want to be done with this shit and being able to get useful feedback is pretty awesome.