• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

“I feel proud of what I did. I think everything was justified. Numbers don’t represent fully what these assets are worth,” McConney said. “I got to do a lot of things normally an accountant wouldn’t be able to do. I’m very proud of the work I did for 35 years.”

eh… maybe there’s a reason most accountants aren’t allowed to cook the books? maybe? Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Numbers don’t represent fully what these assets are worth

I’m no accountant, but I’m pretty sure they’re supposed to, Jeffrey.

• Tedesche@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

This. Any decent accountant or financial manager would know this. The fact that he made this statement at best means he’s incompetent at his job and at worst is an indication of crocodile tears.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Yeah, things aren’t worth more than their value unless there’s sentimentality associated with it, and no one’s getting sentimental over a hotel. Nothing professional will ever value something beyond numbers, this is a gigantic embarrassment for him.

• Tedesche@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Thing is, it wouldn’t surprise me if this guy was being sincere. Take it to be a sign of our times, but I could see this guy getting lulled into the cult unwittingly. Always remember some Trumpers know what they’re doing and others don’t; the extremists deserve the rack (figuratively, of course), but most of them just deserve a stiff smack in the head and a scolding.

• rebelsimile@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

“Look, you can’t just like, appraise things for some kind of dollar value and pretend that that’s what they’re worth.” — This guy’s appraiser.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

When I saw the headline, I thought it meant that he was remorseful, but of course he just feels sorry for himself because the law ruined his good thing.

• teft@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I got to do a lot of things normally an accountant wouldn’t be able to do.

Yeah, crime.

• erp@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Look, sometimes we have an asset with a book value of $10 mil, which means we can brag about it on social media, just like my uncle used to do - great man, very smart and perfect genes from Levis Strauss. Ok, very creased from ironing but this was before my superior roulette steak company. Perhaps market value is, you know, what they are saying is, ok, approximately 2 bananas when the property tax appraiser comes around. Therefore, the numbers don’t represent what the assets are worth. Technically he made a correct statement. Believe me, the best kind of correct. Just like McKinsey and Ivy League. That’s what people are saying. Anyway, everyone can have a gaap in judgment. Sometimes our brain is an impaired asset. But I have a special excretory operation and need your support - please donate now and you will be rewarded with an honorary one-sheet ply of branded water closet paper.

• Wrench@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

“I did it for 35 years! I never thought consequences would every come! sob

• pntha@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

At one point while reviewing his own handwritten notes, McConney acknowledged his memory was “incorrect” about a specific disclosure on Trump’s statement. Seeing the handwritten edits also published in the final statement version, he acknowledged he must have primarily written the disclosure about asset valuations that deviated from generally accepted accounting principles.

someone get this fraud a golden raspberry

• osarusan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

“Waaaahhh, I’ve been doing this my whole life but I never wanted to get caught!”