• @TheMauveAvenger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      256 months ago

I’ll take your money if you’re throwing it away. A truck like this would thrive only on opportunism, no one is traveling to get this food. Having it be cash only would absolutely kill it.

• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        166 months ago

Not necessarily. If it’s really good it could be a novelty but more likely yeah it’ll be put up near a bunch of low wage jobs in the daytime and near a bunch of alcohol selling establishments at night. Dirt cheap fast street food is a thing for a reason and there’s a reason it’s all basically this

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃
          link
          fedilink
          English
          106 months ago

Agreed. I work in foodservice and even with my employee discount, I’d absolutely walk a block or two to get this on my break for $3.

• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            46 months ago

Yeah my career keeps me in factories and there are food truck rotations at some. If Tuesday means there’s a $1 grilled cheese you bet your ass most people are looking forward to that cheap greasy sandwich all day Monday

• @Phoonzang@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

Burrito trucks in the Silicon Valley. The proper one’s, where the Mexican low wage workers go. I was on quite good terms with the Mexican custodian of the facility I worked at (in the heart of the valley), and he pointed me to some of the really good ones. Usually, the best bet is to find a construction zone, there’ll be a few trucks out, depending on the size. The trucks are plain white (no ads or decals or anything), no billboards etc. And they have one thing usually (with a tiny bit of variety). Burritos (choose between three meats, get patatas or not), Tamales (literally just the one kind), etc. And they were all buck cheap. IIRC the burritos were 5 bucks (that was 2010/11?), and it was an unspoken rule that you paid in exact change.

The one burrito truck had a short stint on my workplace’s campus, together with a Mongolian buffet truck (you went in the front, got stuff from the buffet, went out the back, weighed it, done) of similar shadiness, and they were a huge hit. The workplace soon however decided that those were not good enough (some regulations whatever), and over night they banned them but got in the colorfully painted ones with the punny names (“BBQeue - you get it? Because you stand in line for so long?”). Now you’d pay 15 bucks for half a sandwich and a cup of soup.

Hail corporate…

• @groucho@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

this would thrive only on opportunism

Yeah, I went to a Phish show at the gorge once and there were at least four cheap grilled cheese operations on shakedown street (their ad hoc, unsanctioned shopping area.) I don’t think anyone was as cheap as a dollar, but they were close (3 for $5?) and none of them took plastic.

There were massive lines every time I walked by and the sheer robotic precision of the guys working the griddle was amazing. They had it set up so they were making batches of ~20 at a time, and new bread went on as soon as the last batch was finished. They were still going after the show got out.

So it’s doable, but you have to be able to go where Phish fans are and tolerate them all day.

• @jbk
    link
    English
    236 months ago

can anyone explain how this is about autism it seems just like a shitpost to me

• @Deestan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      126 months ago

The image is a shitpost. It is reposted here as a starting point for discussing whether people prefer foods to be simple, which is autism related.

• @EmperorHenryOP
      link
      English
      56 months ago

A lot of autistic people like their food super plain and simple.

• Amilo159
      link
      fedilink
      English
      146 months ago

Here’s forty, and takes a big bite a half. Now gtfo, next!

• AtomicPurple
    link
    fedilink
    96 months ago

This post makes me want grilled cheese, but I don’t have any bread right now and all the stores are closed because Thanksgiving.

• @PsychedSy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    86 months ago

I certainly like simple foods with bright, bold flavors. Though I use a shitload of spices. I get hot salsas and blend them smooth.

• @intensely_human@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    86 months ago

I want to be able to run little food operations like this without having to jump through legal hoops to do it.

• @KISSmyOS@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      66 months ago

Without the legal hoops, a big company would undercut all privately owned food trucks, park theirs on bike lanes, employ subcontractors with slave wages and mix sawdust into the cheese.

• @Phoonzang@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

Nah, those regulations benefit the large scale operators, as the economy of scale distributes the cost of these things over a larger number of venues. Plus you know the right officials to rub elbows with so regulations go in your favour.

• 𝔼𝕩𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕒
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Seems like you’re getting hundreds of grilled cheese sammiches. (Sort yourself out)

According to the top half.

• Tippon
      link
      fedilink
      English
      06 months ago

You either hand over a single dollar, or you’re about to give the best tip ever 😁

• Tarquinn2049
    link
    fedilink
    English
    26 months ago

My issue is that I seem to only like about 5% of ingredients. So that gets exponentially out of hand pretty quick the more ingredients something has. Although not every “wrong” ingredient immediately ruins something. Some are tolerable, and some even completely redeem themselves in specific combinations.

So basically, more ingredients just vastly complicates things. When I find a complicated food that I do happen to like, I lock it down and make sure I can make it exactly the same every time so that it never potentially slips out of that comfort zone. Cuz it really sucks when you put an hour or more of work into something and then finally take that first bite, and either have to give the rest away or throw it in the garbage.

• I'm back on my BS 🤪M
    link
    fedilink
    English
    26 months ago

I don’t like it when my foods touch, especially if there is any liquid. I can tolerate it with effort and even seem like I’m enjoying it, but my discomfort will come out in other ways, such as seeming distracted or in a bad mood.

Also, bacon on anything is over powering, and takes away from the meal. I usually prefer all my meals without bacon, except for meals where bacon is the central ingredient (e.g. BLT).

I don’t like eggs because I find that they have a vomit-like quality to them. I will not eat a hard-boiled egg yolk, and I haven’t in over 20 years. I will not eat deviled eggs. I will not eat egg salad. I will eat scrambled eggs or fried eggs. However, sometimes, I wont eat the egg yolk of a fried egg. If I do, I usually eat very quickly and in one shot because the taste and texture are disgusting to me. I then have to distract myself so that I don’t think about it too much.

While I know that my particularities may seem trivial or childish to some, this is the best I can do. If you saw me in one of these situations, I wouldn’t mention it nor make a big deal out if it. If anything, I will come up with a reason for why I am not eating, such as feeling sick or full from eating earlier.

• @EmperorHenryOP
      link
      English
      36 months ago

I don’t like eggs because I find that they have a vomit-like quality to them

I only like eggs when they’re scrambled. Any other way is gross to me. Especially hard-boiled and deviled.

• guyrocket
    link
    fedilink
    -106 months ago

I say go to $5 and use high quality ingredients like aged cheddar and sourdough bread. Otherwise the same.

• @frickineh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      226 months ago

See, that’s a different kind of truck. This is a truck for generic white bread and kraft singles. I can appreciate both, but it’s like, when I was a kid, my mom bought all kinds of quality sandwich ingredients, and that was cool, but sometimes I wanted to go to my neighbor’s house and have a balogna on wonder bread with miracle whip.

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃
      link
      fedilink
      English
      46 months ago

Exactly. Panera can afford to feed their grilled cheese (fresh American cheddar on baked-in-house miche) with a cup of soup to employees for $3.70 ($7 for general public). So $5 for just the sandwich is absolutely feasible. Might get more customers and increase profit at $3 though, you’d have to experiment with discounts, figure out how many customers certain areas have, etc.

• @kttnpunk@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Okay but this is a little too boring. Add upcharges for vegan cheese, better bread and tomato and basil, maybe garlic, oregano… you’ll still have a killer profit AND product.