Hello users of hexbear after some discussion we mainly wanted to get your thoughts on the two pinned megathreads, one general and one news.

We’ve noticed that the news mega has basically become the general mega and the general mega has kinda slowed. Some are thinking that it might be time to tell people to stop posting random shit to the news mega because some appreciate the ever so slightly more serious, focused tone of the news mega

As of now there is not much of a standard for comments however we wanted to discuss with you regarding making a change. Where the news megathread is for discussion on current events and their history/implications for future while the general megathread is for commenting on one’s life, interests, or for shit-posting.

This would result in the news megathread being more heavily moderated to actively remove comments that are a better fit for the general megathread or off topic.

Please comment with any thoughts, opinions, comments, questions, or concerns.

• Egon [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I don’t really use the regular mega, I never really have, I doubt I ever really will, but I’d appreciate some heavier moderation in the news mega. It kinda sucks going to look for news/discussion/analysis only to have to collapse 17 threads commenting on the size of the thread or making a meme about something in their personal life or local streamer drama or discussing something that is not relevant to the news mega.

Also this sort of strikes me as relitigating the whole c/main drama from ages ago. There’s a userbase on this site that aren’t as interested in the megathread as it seems the modteam is, and that understanding leads to issues when we insist on making the mega into the main gathering spot. I’d urge you to just accept the mega ins’t for everyone, and be happy instead that people are still using this site as a gathering spot.