Like hosted a website or a server for your personal needs, or taken a smartphone given to you for work or something like that.

• Endorkend@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I got a company to install an extra consumer grade internet connection with a different ISP on top of the main (already redundant) business one.

Sold it to them as being best for redundancy and to make sure that if sync traffic between our 6 locations was heavy, it wouldn’t impact the main line.

The main line was actually more than sufficient to handle 100x the heaviest traffic we ever had. We were right next to a university, which got us a hookup to the national backbone on fiber (this was in the age of T1 and T3 lines being the norm, 2 of those 6 locations had to make due with 256KB lines), so it was rock stable, blistering fast and because it was backbone connected, utterly and completely unrestricted and unmonitored by third party.

But the advantage of consumer lines in that period was that cable and DSL were starting to become common for consumers, at speeds comparable to most business internet lines. These also usually had dynamic IPs.

This was simply so my and my colleagues internet and at the time Napster traffic wouldn’t show up on the traffic logs and wouldn’t be identifiable by our official IP range :p