Like hosted a website or a server for your personal needs, or taken a smartphone given to you for work or something like that.

• viking@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

You mean legally when I’m allowed/entitled to? All the time. I max out my benefits.

• Vlyn@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

No, I’m not stupid. Also technically everything you create on company time and/or company resources no longer belongs to you.

I did have a boss once (software development) who hosted his own website on the company servers. Not 100% sure if that was ever green lit by the CEO (maybe, maybe not). But I was really annoyed when the server had issues due to that private site, when I didn’t have access to the code to fix them.

• Vode An@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

My boss tried to take some stuff I created on company time once, I didn’t mind though since I wasn’t keeping that shit.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Any time I’m in the office, I make sure to take a nice long relaxing crap.

• Chozo@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime
      That’s why I poop on company time

• olizet@lemmy.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The company’s PCs were running XP, but had Windows 7 Pro license stickers on their back. I wrote down a few license codes for using them at home. One of those is now my Windows 11 Pro license.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

My manager actually wants me to host a Minecraft server on company hardware to test our performance monitoring system, aren’t I lucky

Now if only I knew how to get players on it who aren’t my friends

• twei@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Could’ve just run a benchmark or mine monero or something… A Minecraft server is arguably one of the worst ways to test performance

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

There’s a grafana exporter for it, can monitor the JVM

It’s not testing the performance of the machine it’s testing performance monitoring tools

• 8ace40@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I was working in my (poor third world) government job, and our keyboard broke. Replacements took months, since they only bought mouse and keyboards in bulk once per year or so, and they ran out of.

I had a second job working as a contractor for a private company, where we were contracted for a public hospital providing system administration and technical support. We had some old PS2 keyboards that were to be decommissioned, but since they didn’t have inventory number, I got hold of them and brought some to my other job.

So I donated some equipment from one area of government to another, but it was kinda illegal, lol 😆.

• Deconceptualist@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This was more of a community service, but when I worked for a university office I ran a TOR node on one of my PCs. After a while though, IT sent someone to ask me kindly not to make it an exit node. Other than that they didn’t seem to mind. It was nice having excess bandwidth.

I also ran some distributed computing apps like folding@home.

• Shambling Shapes@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I was issued a monitor in the early days of COVID when they were sending us home to work. We already had laptops. They had literally pallettes of monitors, people were just grabbing one or two. Tracking was through the honor system, writing name and number taken on a piece of paper.

Now they’re having us go back into the office ~3 days a week and want us to return the monitors. Lol, no.

• Shambling Shapes@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

New people who don’t know wtf they are doing because we don’t have structured training and our written documentation is piss poor and we’re overall bad at helping them. Some new college grad botched a multi-million dollar program and come to find out, they weren’t getting any meaningful mentoring or guidance.

The thought is we will be better at seeing these sorts of gaps earlier if we’re having real conversations, not just the routine PowerPoint presentations sanitized to show all is good.

Could a team train and mentor via virtual interaction only? Sure. Can this particular team? Nope.

• KISSmyOS@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’ve taken a PC that was laying around at work and donated it to a non-profit I’m involved with.
    Was a bit surprised to find there was a Proxmox server installed with a customer’s IP, but I just wiped it.

• Endorkend@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I got a company to install an extra consumer grade internet connection with a different ISP on top of the main (already redundant) business one.

Sold it to them as being best for redundancy and to make sure that if sync traffic between our 6 locations was heavy, it wouldn’t impact the main line.

The main line was actually more than sufficient to handle 100x the heaviest traffic we ever had. We were right next to a university, which got us a hookup to the national backbone on fiber (this was in the age of T1 and T3 lines being the norm, 2 of those 6 locations had to make due with 256KB lines), so it was rock stable, blistering fast and because it was backbone connected, utterly and completely unrestricted and unmonitored by third party.

But the advantage of consumer lines in that period was that cable and DSL were starting to become common for consumers, at speeds comparable to most business internet lines. These also usually had dynamic IPs.

This was simply so my and my colleagues internet and at the time Napster traffic wouldn’t show up on the traffic logs and wouldn’t be identifiable by our official IP range :p

• otl@lemmy.srcbeat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

My colleagues back in the early bitcoin and cryptocurrency days were mining across any spare infra and customer servers they could get their hands on. Back when you could do it with just CPU.