In audio intercepts from the front lines in Ukraine, Russian soldiers speak in shorthand of 200s to mean dead, 300s to mean wounded. The urge to flee has become common enough that they also talk of 500s — people who refuse to fight.

As the war grinds into its second winter, a growing number of Russian soldiers want out, as suggested in secret recordings obtained by The Associated Press of Russian soldiers calling home from the battlefields of the Kharkiv, Luhansk and Donetsk regions in Ukraine.

The calls offer a rare glimpse of the war as it looked through Russian eyes — a point of view that seldom makes its way into Western media, largely because Russia has made it a crime to speak honestly about the conflict in Ukraine. They also show clearly how the war has progressed, from the professional soldiers who initially powered Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion to men from all walks of life compelled to serve in grueling conditions.

“There’s no f------ ‘dying the death of the brave’ here,” one soldier told his brother from the front in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region. “You just die like a f------ earthworm.”

• interceder270@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I can’t help but think most soldiers realize it’s a load of bullshit when they’re choking on their own blood.

• frezik@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Soldiers realize it well before then. The VFW is a club that hopes it withers away from lack of new members.

• SCB@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

I mean, it should wither away because clinging to a job you had 40 years ago as your primary identity is weird as fuck.

• frezik@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Remember that a lot of them have PTSD, and they get support from people who went through many of the same things.

• SCB@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

They should get real support that helps them move on from their old job, rather than reinforcing an identity that is harming them

• frezik@midwest.social
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

Perhaps we could form some kind of club that would create the basis of that support.

• SCB@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 months ago

That again just reinforces the nonsensical “veteran mindset”

Being in the military is a job. I supporting taking care of veterans the way I support paying teachers vastly more.

It isn’t an identity. It’s just a thing a person did, for compensation, years ago.

• splicerslicer@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    7 months ago

Unfathomably naive. Of all “jobs” done for “compensation” the military is the only one where you can be forced against your will to kill or be killed. To watch people die by your hand, to watch your friends die. To watch Innocents die. For some types of trauma not restricted to the military alone, there is no “getting over it”. It lives with you the rest of your life

• Cinner@lemmy.worldB
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    7 months ago

It isn’t an identity. It’s just a thing a person did, for compensation, years ago.

A thing that only certain people do, and no one outside that small number of people actually realize what it was like and what life is like after. So having a “club” where you can go and hang out with people who actually understand what life was/is like after doing what you did, isn’t a bad thing.

I’ll repeat what another member said above:

The VFW is a club that hopes it withers away from lack of new members.

• crashfrog@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

This evidence should give you a strong prior that it’s not just a job.

• SCB@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

A good way to reduce the mental impact of some mething is reducing it’s power by acknowledging it as the barest fact of what it is

• SCB@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 months ago

That’s not lying to yourself. It’s the core idea behind CBT (mental health not ball torture).

You accept the reality of the facts as they are and from there can begin to process them with less fear.

• rammer@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Thank you for sharing this. I don’t read much poetry, much less in German. But this kept me on the edge of my seat.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Jesus Christ. The first one was beautiful and terrible. This was just naked horror (though part of that was that I’m not a native German speaker, so phrases like “blood-shod” in the first poem might have flown over my head in the second one), but I think it might be more effective for it. I also like that it addresses the populace, more than the politicians/potential soldiers.

• tillimarleen@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Interesting! It‘s the opposite with me, I am not a native English speaker, and I actually didn‘t understand blood-shod. They limp and have blood in their shoes? The pictures that came to my mind reminded me of the Borchert poem. It felt like the adequate reply. I love it for the explicit message: Sag Nein! The horror at its end I find just as horrifying as the Owen poem. Back to back, and we have snapshots of the horrors of WWI, WWII and WWIII.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Shod is basically an archaic form of “shoed,” so it’s soildiers who have worn through their boots and are walking just on blood.

I agree that they’re both incredibly moving and horrifying. I think “Sag Nein!” Reflects the perspective of the German postwar generation on communal guilt, whereas the other is more of an attack on politicians. It seems fitting, based on the wars involved, especially because they’re both calls to action, rather than simply condemnations.

• Goodman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That was a tough read in both ways.