• Ranvier@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s a tough call. Many forums have a rule against changing the title at all. People posting are often used to this and post the title as is from the article. The idea being to help prevent editorializing and clickbait on the part of the poster. Every headline these days though seems to be some variation of blatant clickbait or so and so “slams” this or “destroys” that. At this point I probably trust randos on the internet to make headlines more than publishers.

• abhibeckert@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

It’s a tough call. Many forums have a rule against changing the title at all.

Those forums are wrong. A title should accurately reflect the content. We can’t choose the title other websites choose… but we can choose a title for our posts and we should take advantage of that.

Also - if you find yourself posting on a forum with that rule, just ignore it. And then tell them the title you typed out yourself was copy/pasted. They’ll have no way of knowing since so many news services A/B test titles anyway.

Here’s the tile I would’ve used: “Police Alert Parents to iPhone’s Automatic Contact Sharing Feature” — I think we can agree it’s more accurate than the deliberately unclear title this post currently has.

• JohnEdwa@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Those rules exist because so many topics are so politically or socially loaded that allowing everyone to edit them to what they see fit creates an incoherent mess and provokes arguments.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is absurdly stupid to panic about, and the police “warning” people about it should be embarrassed.

Name Drop is no different than a user taking 10 seconds to manually type a number.

• Jim P.@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Except if there is the possibility of it happening without their knowledge/consent, the other person could use even the name for further social engineering. It’s better to not give out any information automatically. Granted the user has to approve a Name Drop share but the screen does display the user’s contact info that would be shared either way, so if the phone is visible to the person trying to obtain the info, they’d still be able to see it even if the target doesn’t approve the share.

It is a bit overhyped since it’s not like someone shady can go around sniffing everyone’s contacts automatically, but it’s still worth tuning off for anyone who is privacy or security conscious.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Only if you actively enable airdrop and put your phone within a couple inches. You can’t leave airdrop on. It can’t happen accidentally.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I hate the fact that I can only change my home address in siri by putting the address on my contact card. This means if I want to text myself as a contact to allow someone to quickly add my phone number and email, I also have to share my home address with that person.

So Siri thinks I still live in the place I lived six years ago.

• B0rax@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

You can select what to share everytime you share your contact from the adress book

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Make a dummy contact card without that info. I have two, one for sharing with family and a work one… Also why do you want your own address in your contact?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It absolutely cannot be a privacy issue.

It takes the same amount of work as manually sharing your number. It cannot happen without deliberate action.

• abhibeckert@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

The feature does require confirmation.

It also requires accessing your contacts database, which is encrypted on iPhones…

Because it’s encrypted, it’s impossible to share contact details unless someone enters the device passcode (or else does a biometric unlock - which effectively stores your passcode temporarily in a secure location that is wiped whenever the device is powered off or left unused for several hours).

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

It only happens with airdrop from strangers enabled, which you cannot leave on permanently, and your devices have to effectively be touching.

There is genuinely not any meaningful risk involved.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It depends on what is shared. If it is only a name and telephone number, I’d agree. If it gives more information, that could be a problem.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Unfortunately apple requires your address to be stored in your contact info, in order for siri and reminders to be aware of where you live.

You can’t configure it anywhere else; it has to be one the contact card that you would share with others.

In other words, they only have one scope for “address”, instead of two separate scopes for (my personal tools) and (anyone else whom I swap numbers with).

• verdare [he/him]@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Whenever I’ve shared my contact card over iMessage, I’ve been prompted to choose exactly which pieces of information I want to share. The address isn’t shared unless I explicitly select it.

• snowe@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

You have to select what you want to share. Here’s what it looks like when I try to share my contact card. my contact

• artaxadepressedhorse@lemmyngs.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Somebody who clicks “accept transfer” on the screen without knowing why it popped up deserves whatever comes next. Only exception being young kids who shouldn’t have access to a fully functional device anyway. If there’s some sort of “Toddler mode” on iPhone, then yeah def have airdrop disabled when in that mode. This is a parenting issue. We should be far more concerned about child advertising and parents putting their entire kid’s life story on Facebook.

Also, why are police fear mongering on social media in any official capacity. Seems pretty damn unprofessional.

• JaymesRS@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Someone in a Michigan Sheriff Dept figured out FUD gets attention and wanted some internet attention.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

🤖 I’m a bot that provides automatic summaries for articles:

Click here to see the summary

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — Some law enforcement agencies are encouraging iPhone users to be cautious following a new update.

The Middletown Division of Police in Ohio posted a warning to parents on Facebook over the weekend regarding the “NameDrop” feature included in the iOS 17 update.

The feature allows users to easily share their contact information with another iPhone or Apple Watch by holding the devices very close together.

“PARENTS: Don’t forget to change these settings on your child’s phone to help keep them safe,” the Middletown Division of Police wrote in its Facebook post.

The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office in Michigan also shared a warning about the feature, which is turned on by default with the new update.

The sheriff’s office said that even though you can refuse to share your info, “many people do not check their settings and realize how their phone works.”

Saved 38% of original text.

• SuperPillowFishRoe@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

More and more I’m realizing that these types of PSAs from cops are just thinly veiled PR pieces to drum up fear over something that is pretty miniscule all things considered, especially since it’s on Facebook.

Kinda reminds me of those NextDoor-esque posts “Man outside with clipboard. Stay safe!”