Been loving the fed, but the past few days i’m wondering if my setup is wrong on this site?

Unspecified and English are my language settings in the account config.

I tend to go with Hot and check Top Day on All. I also am a heavy hider - once I open an image, check comments that post is gone [which I prefer, I don’t ever dip back, unless I get a reply]

I have the big meme communities blocked so that’s a massive chunk of content I’m missing out on, not that i’m complaining; it was too dominant.

Despite my local instance only being defedded with one community, I feel like i’m really not getting All on my…All.

Is it better to subscribe to stuff and set Subscribed to my default feed instead?

Thanks, hopefully i’ve not buggered something up

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

My biggest gripe is that the all feed is not actually the all feed from across the fediverse, but a feed from all instances your instance is federated with. I understand why that is the case, but the fediverse really lacks a way to explore beyond your walled garden and its natural bias. Essentially this acts a mandatory content filter that I have not set up or opted in to, which I personally object to. I have the tools to show and hide what content I want to see, I don’t need it pre selected for me. Or at least give the the additional option to see a feed of all instances and communities across Lemmy / the fediverse I have not personally blocked or filtered out.

• Sev@feddit.ukOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I initially was on lemmy.world and moved to a UK instance. I tried searching a Titanic sub on my UK instance, and it didn’t show up. But it was deffo still there on my L.W search? What? This is why I think my UK instance is a bit weird despite only being defederated from 1 instance, and hence this thread. It feels off compared to my Lemmy world feed.

• xapr@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I tried searching a Titanic sub on my UK instance, and it didn’t show up. But it was deffo still there on my L.W search? What?

Ah, I learned that there’s a trick to this specific situation. If a community hasn’t been subscribed to by anyone on your instance yet, it will not show up in results when you first search for it (search by URL or !link by the way). However, wait a few seconds and hit search again - the community will now show up and you can subscribe to it! What apparently happens is that your server is not yet aware of that community, but once you search for it with a URL or !link, your server will immediately search it out and become aware of it. This is why it’s usually better to search for communities on one of the big Fediverse directory sites, especially if you’re on an instance with fewer people in it. My favorite site for this at the moment is https://lemmyverse.net/communities - it will show both the URL and !link right there and allow you to easily copy it to search on your instance.

• Sev@feddit.ukOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ah I did not know that nice! I’ll have a little tinker with that site and subscibe to some stuff too, hopefully that will get the Hot and Top Day stuff looking a little more healthy :)

• xapr@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

After I subscribed to a bunch of communities what I ended up selecting as my defaults are “subscribed” and “hot”. This seems to most closely replicate the experience from old.reddit when I was signed in. However, I noticed and also read that there’s a bug with the Hot code that shows old posts, so I end up using “new” a lot too. Sometimes I even rotate through top or top and all, to find different stuff.

• JWBananas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

My biggest gripe is that the all feed is not actually the all feed from across the fediverse, but a feed from all instances your instance is federated with.

It’s even worse than that. It’s all communities that users on your instance have subscribed with. If someone creates a new community on another instance, you won’t see it on yours until you or someone else discovers and subscribes to it.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

From the get-go, I’ve been saying the biggest issue with Lemmy as a decentralized platform is there will be no standard of openes or fairness to which all the admins and mods will be held to.

All of the fediverse is meant to coalesce together, but that could only happen so long as the people in charge permitted it. As usual, the technology is sound, but the human element was not taken into account.

With admins and mods on Lemmy doing whatever and shadow banning/defederating to curate how they believe their instance should be (instead of leaving that up to the users), it will be impossible for Lemmy to coalesce. Fediverse will have the illusion of a massive interconnected social network, but in reality it will be a fractured hodgepodge of fiefdoms under the rule of admins using the tools available to them to filter out any and everything, including the very votes the platform is meant to operate on.

Reddit had plenty of problems with extreme or biased moderation, but the centralized nature at least forced them to operate in the same space, where you either deleted shit or you didn’t. Everyone was in the shared version of the same shared site. With fediverse, moderation will be able to fracture that shared reality. The result will be confusion and a platform where visitors will not be seeing the same things to spite looking at the same social network, dependant entirely on the url in their task bar.

• 『  』@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well if this is what you want then you really need to choose a proper instance that suits your needs.

1. Your instance has to have no blocked instances
      2. It needs to be a big instance so that people are searching up more things and making it more aware of other communities
      • xapr@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You can bypass the need for #2. See my other, longer post in this thread. You can find any community you want and make your instance aware of it (as long as the host instance is not defederated, I presume). No need to depend on others searching.

• outdated_belated@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Or at least give the the additional option to see a feed of all instances and communities across Lemmy / the fediverse I have not personally blocked or filtered out.

I believe that option is possible if you set up your own instance, which, yeah, is admittedly non-trivial resource-wise (time/money/effort). Maybe slightly less non-trivial would be finding an instance that is itself fully permissive.

• MusketeerX@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How do you filter for English?

I sometimes get a bunch of Dutch and German posts. They seem to come in waves. My high school German from years ago is not up to the task so I’d rather filter them out!

• HSL@wayfarershaven.eu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This is a support question around using Lemmy - removing the post now. Please see the sidebar for tips on better communities for questions like this in the future.

• HSL@wayfarershaven.eu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t follow. The rules for this community clearly state that it isn’t meant for support. There are plenty of other communities that are focused on support. Why should people subscribed to this community be expected to answer support questions if they don’t want to? That’s the whole point of different communities with different rules.