News often stress me out because of the negativity, but I want to stay informed.

• PeepinGoodArgs@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

This is generally an unpopular opinion, but…I don’t really think we need the news.

It’s basically like being told that a comet is going to smash into the Earth within the year and scientists are working on it, but their chance for success is anywhere between 0% and 100%. That’s cool and all, but I rarely feel like I can actively do anything as a result of being more informed. More information doesn’t empower me to do anything at all. Thus, I have a hard time justifying the self-flagellation.

Personally, I read the news only. While I barely pay attention to videos anyway, when I do I feel like I don’t have time to fact-check and otherwise do my due diligence. If I don’t have to read interpretative commentary, then I won’t. For example, if a news story cites a study or survey, I’ll just go to the source. If someone is quoted, I’ll go look for context around the quote.

That’s how I exert control, anyway lol. It’s mostly inconsequential, probably, but I also like to think that I’m not totally foolish.

• livus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

@PeepinGoodArgs

That’s cool and all, but I rarely feel like I can actively do anything as a result of being more informed. More information doesn’t empower me to do anything at all.

I know what you mean. I think it’s partly the kind of news that’s encouraged in “bleeds-it-leads” 24h Western news cycles.

A proportion of my news these days is from outside that cycle, and it’s a bit more helpful/normal. For example noticing all the news on the rice production shortage before it impacted local prices.