• Obi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I think that’s pretty natural? If you weren’t getting any of the movie there’d be no points and we’d just read the subs on a kindle or something.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

For people who grew up with subs it might be more spectacular. For us, it’s just Tuesday.

• Bluefruit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Idk if anyone else has this but i get a weird flow state where i read the subtitles and its like the characters are talking in english but i if think about it, it stops.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Not sure if I’ve experienced that, but I have watched something in English with no subtitles after watching something in another language with subtitles and been unable to understand what they’re saying until my brain adjusts.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

As long as you can read fast enough, you don’t miss anything. I hate it when video games have subtitles but you can’t skip to the next line because I’ve finished reading what they said way before they’re done saying it.

• NaoPb@eviltoast.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Sometimes I drop sub groups just over their timing. If it’s too short, I will drop them since I will no longer enjoy it at that point.

• KingJalopy @lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Badly time subs are one of the things I hate most. It is so frustrating when they’re not synced up well enough to match what the people are saying.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

My issue with video game subtitles is actually the opposite problem. The subtitles have finished appearing, but the voiced line is still going. It’s especially bad when you’re playing in an audio language you can’t understand. (Some Japanese video games still don’t have English voice acting. Yakuza, for example, only recently started doing English voice acting.)

• YAMAPIKARIYA@lemmyfi.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Honestly yeah. I disable subtitles even if I’d like them because I read it faster than they speak. The only anime subtitles that were going too fast for me for a while were Teekyuu but that clearly was meant to be for native audience so the pacing was as such.

• Mrderisant@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m actualy losing my hearing so I’m starting to “hear” my shows better than I can my wife

• 0x4E4F@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah, we’re used to it, it’s the only way I’ve watched movies since I was a kid.

I don’t use subs now, maybe English ones cuz sometimes the actors speak way too fast and you have a hard time understanding what they’re saying.