California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) took a swipe at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s ® standing in the GOP presidential primary during a debate Thursday on Fox News.

“This is just a reminder…It’s a question some people are probably asking — I know Nikki Haley’s campaign is asking: When are you going to drop out and at least give Nikki Haley a shot to take down Donald Trump in this nomination,” Newsom said. “She laid you out.”

“You wish,” DeSantis shot back.

• Phegan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

The most savage of come backs. Almost as bad as “I know you are, but what am I”

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Haley doesn’t want DeSantis to drop out or to face Trump head to head. She would then be a target, and she would alienate Trumpers still clinging to him like dingleberries.

She wants DeSantis in the race as a Trump-like surrogate she can use as a punching bag. She wants to present herself as the rational choice among irrational people. Nobody can beat Trump at the polls, at least not without completely blowing up the party.

So one of two things will happen:

Trump wins the nomination and chooses Haley as his running mate.

Trump is unavailable to be the nominee either because he’s in prison, he’s been kept off the ballot in court, or his health cannot hold up against the rigors of canpaigning. If that happens, Haley can step into the role and collect those dingleberries in her basket without ever saying a negative thing about Trump.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’m sure she’d rather be President, but I don’t see her attacking Trump directly, which anyone who is going to beat him in an election would need to do. Unfortunately for everyone, attacking Trump is political suicide for conservatives.

• Xhieron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Oh you bet your ass she does. She’s seen the actuarial tables. Even if all of Trump’s legal woes went away, his next VP would still be much more likely than the typical office holder to actually get the top chair. In a Trump and Biden match up, no matter who wins there’s a reasonable chance the VP ends up finishing the term.

• ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

They’ll both likely be alive in 2029. Modern presidents almost universally live into their 90s. And trump won’t go to jail while president, so his legal issues have no impact on her going from VP to POTUS.

• protist@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Pointless for you and me, sure, but I’m all for a strong Democratic voice getting airtime on Fox News.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I guess, but they’ll just brainwash their viewers into denying any good points he may have made. They have the memories of goldfish.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Exactly.

DeSantis: “Allegations about me wanting to increase business with China and owning a business that manufactures for Chinese military have been debunked.”

Republican supporters: “Well that must be true then!!”

• nilloc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

That’s not how they do it!

They start babbling about woke agendas and pedos while making viewers scared of brown people coming over the border to terrorize you.

• ZeroCool@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

It may have been a pointless debate but I thoroughly enjoyed this burn from Newsom; "The one thing we have in common is neither of us will be our party’s nominee in 2024.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I read a couple of articles about it and the only thing that I really found amusing was Hannity getting so frustrated that they were both ignoring him that he said, “I’m not a potted plant here!”

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

See, this is why we need to present both sides in a fair and balanced debate of ideas. Is Sean Hannity a potted plant? Some say he’s more of a slimy sea creature like a slug or sea cucumber. Did you know that the sea cucumber will expell its intestines as a defense mechanism? Hannity has so far not commented on the status of his intestines, whether he’s ever expelled them out of fear or even for his own sexual pleasure. I know that’s a graphic, salacious thought, but it’s our responsibility as journalists to present the facts to you and let you draw your own conclusions.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

You make a lot of valid points. I wish to argue against the potted plant claim because potted plants are generally wanted and cared for from the moment they sprout and Hannity was almost certainly not.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 months ago

You, friend, have not been to my sunroom. It’s like the prequel to Little Shop of Horrors where we find out why Audrey II hates people so much.

• CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I do still laugh and laugh at all the con never-trumpers that were lecturing those of us on the left that DeSADIST was going to be the natural choice for the GOP, that their completely insane party was done with John Barron, and so on, and that they just wanted donnie without the baggage, as if their howler monkey base were actually interested in anything like policy.

They just want someone that will believably parrot the very worst bilge they hear on hate radio and Faux and who appears to be a “strong man” to these brainiacs. DeSADIST is definitely evil, but he’s not what those addled with FauxBrain want as far as playing the part of someone they believe will hurt the people they hate so much.

So much for the “independents” and/or “never-trumpers” and their views on DeSADIST.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The exchange came during a question posed by the debate’s moderator, Fox News host Sean Hannity, about how the two men would counter China’s aggression.

Newsom was referring to comments Haley made about DeSantis during the third GOP primary debate in Miami earlier this month.

During that event, Haley, who has been steadily gaining on DeSantis in many early-state polls following her strong debate performances, accused her opponent of seeking to strengthen business ties with China.

“Ron, you are the chair of your economic development agency that as of last week said Florida is the ideal place for Chinese businesses,” Haley said.

DeSantis had earlier hit Haley about her relations with Beijing during her tenure as South Carolina governor.

Both men sought to stake out a strong position against China during the Fox News debate, a unique event that saw a presidential contender squaring off against a non-presidential candidate in prime time.

The original article contains 343 words, the summary contains 152 words. Saved 56%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!