Welcome to the Melbourne Community Daily Discussion Thread.

• fullkitwanker@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I have always had bad attention span and as a result I could never get into reading. You put me in front of a tv, I’ll watch it for hours but I really struggle to read books and I want to now make it a habit to read a bit everyday. What’s a good target to set? How do I stick to it?

• Taleya@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You already got the answer. Read a little bit every day. Noodle about your library, look for books that interest you. If you’re part way through a book and not liking it, dump it! And don’t think you have to highbrow. Go for YA books, clive cussler, movie adaptations or trashy fabio novels if you want and fuck the haters, this should be a joy, not a chore.

• calhoon2005@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I would strongly recommend getting an e-reader. My reading really increased after I got one. They’re really light, easier to read whilst lying on your side, have their own light which is not blue-light. Kobo’s are great as they have library books available, kindles are good because you can email EPUBs to yourself.

• Catfish@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’m the total opposite. Anything e-ruins my concentration span. And they don’t smell right. Paper all the way.

• just_kitten@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Borrow library books, you’ll feel pressured to finish them before they’re due (unless you’re me …)

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I haven’t but I imagine it isn’t too dissimilar to podcasts. I often find myself zoning out with podcasts and I really need to focus and listen. idk why I keep zoning out though

• Catfish@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Have you any idea what you do like to read? Something fairly light mood and with a chapter structure might suit. Built in break points. Have you seen Miss Fisher on TV? Either of Kerry’s detective series could work if you liked that.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I have a few books. Mostly non fictional. Something related to my work. So I’m currently reading “How the world really works - Vaclav Smil”. I have a couple other books that I bought on a whim after listening to an inspiring talk by him.

Also a couple of fiction books that I want to read. One is Silo by Hugh Howey. Its an apple tv show and I loved the show so I bought the book!

You see where the problem is. I buy books but don’t read them. 🤦‍♂️

• Catfish@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Ah! Then I suggest building yourself a specific reading spot. A cosy chair/beanbag/mini tent, add a ritual of a pot of tea/mixed drink and settle in 😺