Welcome to the Melbourne Community Daily Discussion Thread.

• Bottom_racer@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

So we have Hot Take Thursday. Fuckoff Friday and now introducing and taking submissions for Sasspants Saturday.

I’ll go first.

The other night, did a bunch of gyoza as all the fam were together (4 plus bro’s new wife). no biggie easy stuff. There’s a custom here that we all say ‘hey thanks that was nice’ even if it wasn’t. That didn’t happen.

Anyway they’re addicticted to their phones which I find rude in a social setting. You’re mid convo and they’ll just whip it out and browse random shit (so not responding to anything).

Anyway bro’s wife eats the last gyoza and the person who does that in my rulebook always should ask ‘anyone want that’? doesn’t, then heads to the couch to browse whatever shit that was on her phone instead of conversing.

So my parting comment when they were leaving was ‘well I’m glad you found the gyoza interesting’.

That is my saturday sasspant.

• bull⚡@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I think I have one. I just went out for a walk around Docklands and when I’d had enough walking, I spotted a rental scooter which had been clearly stashed off the main paths on some dirt between the outdoor public basketball courts and outdoor gym equipment. There was a group of young guys hanging around chatting on the gym equipment and as I approached the scooter one of them was looking at me with the eyes of someone who very clearly was calling “dibs” on the scooter but that just isn’t how this works. Then they all turned to look at me like I was stealing something. I had my headphones on and I don’t give a fuuuuuck so I just kept their eye contact, scanned the scooter and rode off. I think that might be sasspant.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

When I googled sasspant it gave me a heap of clothing options. It also gave me sassy pant which is not what your talking about. Umph.

Your fam are rude. I don’t allow electronics at my table nor do I do it at anyone else’s. I’d appreciate your gyozas.

• underwatermagpies@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Party time. By which I mean I’m dusting off the dvd player and the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice, and I’m snuggling in with a blanket and a cat.

• Catfish@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

First expedition to the can return machine. Got enough back to almost pay for a big sack of cat litter. Impressed with the speed of the thing!

• Rusty Raven @aussie.zoneM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Great news everyone, Jeff Bezos ex wife just emailed to say my email address has been randomly chosen and that she wants to give me 1.5 million US dollars! Woo Hoo, I’m rich!

• Thornburywitch@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Finished the skirt on my new xmas outfit. Now the top and the jacket still to do. Happy with the result, especially as the botch up of the pleats at the back won’t be seen under the jacket (I hope). Everything else has worked out just fine. This is my first attempt in many years at pattern drafting.

• fullkitwanker@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’ve forgotten what it feels like to be offered help. Since moving to my new place (and breaking my hand), people have offered to make me food, move a bed etc etc which I never got at my previous places 😭 (3 years in Australia!!)

And I’m not generally good at accepting help because I don’t want to burden others. For ex my housemates bf asked me to join him for badminton and I told him I sadly couldn’t…and then he offered to help with anything! Jeez the bar is so low for me when it comes to people.

• Cendana@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I have unfortunately learnt to always decline no matter the circumstance, because the ONE time I accepted, and despite insisting I pay them some money which was declined, I was accused of taking advantage of them.

Never again.

• useless_modern_god@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Pro tip: These are some of my Xmas tree lights rolled into what’s called a speed-ball. A Vietnam war veteran taught me this method. They used to roll the wiring for claymore mines like this to expedite a hasty ambush.

It’s hard to explain but you loosely wrap the entire wire around the end you want to come out first and just leave the end hanging out of the ball. It pulls out perfectly every single time with no hang ups or knots.

It’s a bit counterintuitive but it works without fail every time.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

How could it be 16° today, 20° tomorrow and 30° on Monday? Like there’s not much foreplay just straight into the good stuff. Then it’s over by Wednesday.

• Thornburywitch@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Jaysus! A car going through the roundabout at my street corner has just knocked my neighbour’s ancient bmw into the tree on my nature strip. Police on their way. Hard to tell if anyone’s hurt - so much yelling.
    EDIT: looks like no one’s hurt.
    Looks like I won’t be mowing the nature strip this weekend.

• cuppaconcrete@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah sorry about that, I lost control but I’m a drunk cop so you’re not allowed to release my identity for 40 years 😎❤️

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I have always had bad attention span and as a result I could never get into reading. You put me in front of a tv, I’ll watch it for hours but I really struggle to read books and I want to now make it a habit to read a bit everyday. What’s a good target to set? How do I stick to it?

• Taleya@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You already got the answer. Read a little bit every day. Noodle about your library, look for books that interest you. If you’re part way through a book and not liking it, dump it! And don’t think you have to highbrow. Go for YA books, clive cussler, movie adaptations or trashy fabio novels if you want and fuck the haters, this should be a joy, not a chore.

• just_kitten@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Borrow library books, you’ll feel pressured to finish them before they’re due (unless you’re me …)

• calhoon2005@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I would strongly recommend getting an e-reader. My reading really increased after I got one. They’re really light, easier to read whilst lying on your side, have their own light which is not blue-light. Kobo’s are great as they have library books available, kindles are good because you can email EPUBs to yourself.

• Catfish@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’m the total opposite. Anything e-ruins my concentration span. And they don’t smell right. Paper all the way.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I haven’t but I imagine it isn’t too dissimilar to podcasts. I often find myself zoning out with podcasts and I really need to focus and listen. idk why I keep zoning out though

• Catfish@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Have you any idea what you do like to read? Something fairly light mood and with a chapter structure might suit. Built in break points. Have you seen Miss Fisher on TV? Either of Kerry’s detective series could work if you liked that.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I have a few books. Mostly non fictional. Something related to my work. So I’m currently reading “How the world really works - Vaclav Smil”. I have a couple other books that I bought on a whim after listening to an inspiring talk by him.

Also a couple of fiction books that I want to read. One is Silo by Hugh Howey. Its an apple tv show and I loved the show so I bought the book!

You see where the problem is. I buy books but don’t read them. 🤦‍♂️

• Catfish@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Ah! Then I suggest building yourself a specific reading spot. A cosy chair/beanbag/mini tent, add a ritual of a pot of tea/mixed drink and settle in 😺

• Mittens_meow@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I tried to get cash out with a purchase at woollies for the first time with a new card - debit Mastercard. It failed 3 times, I tried credit and savings- no go. I gave up and just tapped for the grocery purchase and left.

Called the bank to ask wtf and apparently I’m supposed to select “cheque”. Wtf, it’s not a cheque account and I have no cheque book.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I just scored a great plant pot off someone’s hard rubbish, and it came with a free arm workout. 💪 It started off feeling pretty light, but I swear that thing got heavier as I walked.

• dumblederp@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

omg carrying my hard rubbish prize home yesterday was a nightmare, it even had handles for easy carrying. What type of plant?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

No plant, just the pot. It’s a tall, ceramic rectangular planter. It did not help that the lip of the pot was rough, so it was hard finding somewhere to grip it without rough edges digging in. It would have been fairly easy if I could have used both hands, but walking the dog and only having one hand free made it a bit tricky.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It did have a bit of rain in it, but as there was a big hole in the bottom of the pot the risk from the rain was more about making sure the water escaping from the hole did not run down my leg.

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I should be taking this opportunity to do the tasks that are more difficult with kitty around but am still really not feeling good physically or mentally. Sitting around pressuring myself about a hobby that should be fun, putting myself through the wringer in the hope that doing it will help me cope with the rest of life. Because in my current state this hobby is the most do-able.

I’m feeling guilty about Melbcat. It feels like my bad health is letting her down and despite all my efforts I’m just having to wait for answers or help while watching it deteriorate.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

so many hugs

so do things about your hobby that are easier. Like watching all kinds of art youtubes, watch everything to do with your hobby. Go to an op shop and buy every book on art you can and browse them.

I admit I’m really pleased I watched many many many hours of videos on the art, it gave me a depth of knowledge and I learnt many tips. It was definitely not a waste.

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’ve been looking at and saving many references and art tutorials, that is a low energy way to do it and is training my eyes to notice details. But it’s making my eyes much better than my hands, so it’s easier to see flaws in my inexperienced techniques.

That’s apparently a thing. Your work can suddenly look worse to you as your eye improves :/