Additionally, what changes are necessary for you to be able to use Linux full time?

• UlrikHD@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have no idea how to install all the different program types (flathub, db, appimage, etc.). Windows has exe. I click “install” and boom, it’s done.

That’s strange, I’ve always felt that installing stuff is a lot easier on Ubuntu than windows. It’s just apt install <program> and apt remove <program>. Having to manually download and run an exe feels outdated in comparison.

I can’t even select a file because there are no previews. Just a gazillion blue squares with names like “dlcosn_3947912947”.

Curious what distro you installed that had that issue. The only preview issue I’ve encountered was on win10 where I had to pay for windows to support H.265 to give me previews of H.265 files.

Things are constantly breaking. When they do I look up support articles that are written in fucking Klingon and sent to the terminal to type in commands that always return some sort of generic error “command not found” or some shit because the solution is written for a different one of the 862700422 available distros.

That’s a fair point though. If you aren’t willing (and most aren’t) to learn enough to be comfortable with the terminal, it can be very easy break something when you are forced to interact with the terminal.

• min_fapper@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Apt does not have most packages you need anymore. You have to add custom repositories for everything. Which means you have to go to a website and still run a whole bunch of commands. Worst of both worlds. Other distros are not as bad, but between snap, flathub, etc. Linux package management is not in a good state at the moment.

• Xer0@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Agreed. Try using apt install program name, not found. Search Google “how to download program name on Linux”. Get told you first have to add these 3 different repos or whatever in the terminal, then type in this command to download it. Why do I need to Google HOW to download a program? Nothing is ever simple with Linux. It’s absolute bollocks in that regard.

• min_fapper@iusearchlinux.fyi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The sad part is that it used to be simple. You could do apt install whatever and it would usually get it.

They also used to have a graphical frontend for apt, which felt like an app store before app stores (and even the iPhone itself) existed.

I suspect it’ll get simple again. If canonical doesn’t do it, some other distro will overtake it.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve always felt that installing stuff is a lot easier on Ubuntu than windows. It’s just apt install <program> and apt remove <program>.

😂 Except that you have to know exactly what <program> is, character for character, and usually includes some long string of numbers and letters where 1 character is wrong and you have to retype the whole damn thing. This is the opposite of easy.

Curious what distro you installed that had that issue.

Fedora/Gnome

If you aren’t willing (and most aren’t) to learn enough to be comfortable with the terminal, it can be very easy break something when you are forced to interact with the terminal.

Yes and the problem is you’re ALWAYS sent into the terminal for absolutely any kind of debugging.

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Been using linux for 6ish years.

Aint nothin @HughJanus said thats wrong.

assuming what you want is even on apt. if its not, then you gotta add the repository… and some stuff doesnt even offer that. So you gotta find and download the .deb file. or even compile it from source yourself.

• oatscoop@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Except that you have to know exactly what <program> is, character for character

Everything has [Tab] completion these days.

• UlrikHD@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Except that you have to know exactly what <program> is, character for character, and usually includes some long string of numbers and letters where 1 character is wrong and you have to retype the whole damn thing. This is the opposite of easy.

If it a program you are unfamiliar with, yes you’ll probably need to search for the apt name and copy paste. I much prefer that over searching a website, verifying it’s not a scam site, then download the exe, and then run the exe once the download is finished. After the first time, just add it to a .sh script and then you can download every program you need automatically if you ever need to set up a new instance again.

I guess it’s not for all, but worst case it’s hardly any more work than needing to go to a website to download the exe.

• Excel@lemmy.megumin.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There will never be a world where average users prefer typing arcane command line shit over clicking on a button in a GUI.

• squidman64@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Install chocolatey in windows and get the best of both worlds…now for 90% of programs I can type “choco install foo” and it finds the exe for me and silently installs it in the background so I don’t even have to click anything