Additionally, what changes are necessary for you to be able to use Linux full time?

• harmonea@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I got tired of everything taking so much effort. I was almost always able to eventually wrangle what I wanted out of the OS, but every change I wanted to make and thing I wanted to try needed so much searching and learning. I wanted stuff that just worked, even if it was “dumber.”

That, and some parts of the community I ran into were really prickly. One that was especially memorable: I was asking for help on a big-ish project with a lot of followers and helpers and didn’t expect the lead dev to answer my question, but when he did, he felt the need to make a snide as hell comment about how I have no business being there if I’m going to forget to start a service. On top of the exhaustion I was already feeling, I had a massive moment of “okay my guy, I guess I’ll just fucking leave then.”

Anyway, it just feels better being a poweruser on windows. I know enough to keep it clean, safe, and slim (like using powershell to disable the bits they don’t expose to a settings UI, for example) – to truly admin my machine – without having to work so hard for it day in and day out.

• meathorse@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I really, really want to love Linux.

Mate introduced me to Red Hat in the very late 90s and I keep trying various distros every year or two - last time was about 2020 so my views here might be a bit out of date now…

When Ubuntu launched I truely believed this would be the start of genuine transformation. While I do see the overall progression in modern distros - installing them is easier than ever - but at its core, it just doesn’t seem to truely improve when it comes to usability and user friendliness. As others have said, small changes or issues might require hours of research or a game of copy/paste/pray with commands found on a long lost forum page.

MS make plenty of mistakes and dumb changes but windows has had significant improvements over the years both to the interface but also functions:

W2k/XP dragged us kicking and screaming out of DOS and into the modern era.

Vista made much needed changes to security/driver issues - but it was still a slow pig - particularly updating.

Win7 fixed what Vista should have been - faster, cleaner and simpler, BSoD mostly a thing of the past now driver manufacturers have caught up from Vista fixed updates a bit.

Win8.1 improved boot speeds, had a lot of good under the hood changes that improved deployment and self-repair, good tools for power users (we just don’t talk about that start menu)

Win10/11 greatly improved the updating process - still far from perfect but significantly faster and more reliable. No longer the upgrade lottery it was in XP - 7 era.

Not wanting to start a fight here, just my perspective - unfortunately, every time I install Linux, the visuals look good but it always feels like a fancy modern skin over top of something akin to Win98. Sure, it’s fast, secure as a MF and not riddled with modern bloat but genuine advancement of the platform feels absent.

Maybe it’s because I don’t live elbow deep in Linux like I have in windows desktop for the past 20+ years. I do know that it’s versatility and power is incredible - from phones and Pi’s to world class infrastructure, so maybe that’s it. It’s designed for maximum power and flexibility that it’s not really suited as a general purpose desktop for the masses like windows. It might always remain as a oddity at the desktop level, insanely powerful in the right hands and just a little too complex and less refined to appeal to those not willing to go deep into really learning it.

• techgearwhips@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Shit never works and I basically have to become a programmer and expert in CLI to get shit to work… until it breaks again. So after having to Google everything on how to do supposedly simple shit, I always end up going back to Windows and GUI’s because I don’t have time to become a developer.

• garyyo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Necessity. When most of the software you use is reliant on Windows it’s hard to make Linux your daily driver. That being said, the changes needed to make it worth it are already done in limited contexts. Steam deck is pure Linux, the user interface and everything is implemented in a way that the user does not have to deal with the complexity, but the underlying mechanisms for doing wonky shit is still there if you want to mess with it. It’s kinda the best of both worlds in that sense.

If we wanted a desktop experience to replicate that, you would just have to do the exact same thing. Abstract the user experience such that the layperson does not need to engage with the complicated bits, but leave them there for those that do want them. And arguably that is being done with some distros, but it’s just not quite there yet.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It just doesn’t work. It’s a simple as that. Things are constantly breaking. When they do I look up support articles that are written in fucking Klingon and sent to the terminal to type in commands that always return some sort of generic error “command not found” or some shit because the solution is written for a different one of the 862700422 available distros.

I have no idea how to install all the different program types (flathub, db, appimage, etc.). Windows has exe. I click “install” and boom, it’s done.

Sometimes I try to remove software in the package manager and it acts like it is uninstalled but it’s still fucking there.

I can’t even select a file because there are no previews. Just a gazillion blue squares with names like “dlcosn_3947912947”.

And other reasons, but I digress. I don’t have time to learn a new career, I just want a computer that works.

• Raven FellBlade@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I used Linux Mint for several years on a dual-boot laptop. I rarely found myself booting Windows. While there was a learning curve, Mint was fairly accessible out of the box and was generally a delight to use. Until it wasn’t. At some point, the drivers for my video card updated, and just flat broke everything. And I can’t really use a computer on which I can’t see the desktop. I waited. And waited. A fix for the driver may have eventually come, but after awhile, booting into Windows just became my default, until eventually I just wiped the Linux partition to recover the storage space.

It was fun while it lasted, and I may choose one day to give it another go for the fourth time. This wasn’t the first time I’ve had something like this happen. First time was with Fedora, and the second was Ubuntu. Each time, I had the same “it worked until it didn’t” experience, and each time it stopped working was usually some kind of broken driver making my hardware incompatible.

• UlrikHD@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I have no idea how to install all the different program types (flathub, db, appimage, etc.). Windows has exe. I click “install” and boom, it’s done.

That’s strange, I’ve always felt that installing stuff is a lot easier on Ubuntu than windows. It’s just apt install <program> and apt remove <program>. Having to manually download and run an exe feels outdated in comparison.

I can’t even select a file because there are no previews. Just a gazillion blue squares with names like “dlcosn_3947912947”.

Curious what distro you installed that had that issue. The only preview issue I’ve encountered was on win10 where I had to pay for windows to support H.265 to give me previews of H.265 files.

Things are constantly breaking. When they do I look up support articles that are written in fucking Klingon and sent to the terminal to type in commands that always return some sort of generic error “command not found” or some shit because the solution is written for a different one of the 862700422 available distros.

That’s a fair point though. If you aren’t willing (and most aren’t) to learn enough to be comfortable with the terminal, it can be very easy break something when you are forced to interact with the terminal.

• min_fapper@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Apt does not have most packages you need anymore. You have to add custom repositories for everything. Which means you have to go to a website and still run a whole bunch of commands. Worst of both worlds. Other distros are not as bad, but between snap, flathub, etc. Linux package management is not in a good state at the moment.

• Xer0@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Agreed. Try using apt install program name, not found. Search Google “how to download program name on Linux”. Get told you first have to add these 3 different repos or whatever in the terminal, then type in this command to download it. Why do I need to Google HOW to download a program? Nothing is ever simple with Linux. It’s absolute bollocks in that regard.

• min_fapper@iusearchlinux.fyi
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The sad part is that it used to be simple. You could do apt install whatever and it would usually get it.

They also used to have a graphical frontend for apt, which felt like an app store before app stores (and even the iPhone itself) existed.

I suspect it’ll get simple again. If canonical doesn’t do it, some other distro will overtake it.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve always felt that installing stuff is a lot easier on Ubuntu than windows. It’s just apt install <program> and apt remove <program>.

😂 Except that you have to know exactly what <program> is, character for character, and usually includes some long string of numbers and letters where 1 character is wrong and you have to retype the whole damn thing. This is the opposite of easy.

Curious what distro you installed that had that issue.

Fedora/Gnome

If you aren’t willing (and most aren’t) to learn enough to be comfortable with the terminal, it can be very easy break something when you are forced to interact with the terminal.

Yes and the problem is you’re ALWAYS sent into the terminal for absolutely any kind of debugging.

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Been using linux for 6ish years.

Aint nothin @HughJanus said thats wrong.

assuming what you want is even on apt. if its not, then you gotta add the repository… and some stuff doesnt even offer that. So you gotta find and download the .deb file. or even compile it from source yourself.

• oatscoop@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Except that you have to know exactly what <program> is, character for character

Everything has [Tab] completion these days.

• UlrikHD@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Except that you have to know exactly what <program> is, character for character, and usually includes some long string of numbers and letters where 1 character is wrong and you have to retype the whole damn thing. This is the opposite of easy.

If it a program you are unfamiliar with, yes you’ll probably need to search for the apt name and copy paste. I much prefer that over searching a website, verifying it’s not a scam site, then download the exe, and then run the exe once the download is finished. After the first time, just add it to a .sh script and then you can download every program you need automatically if you ever need to set up a new instance again.

I guess it’s not for all, but worst case it’s hardly any more work than needing to go to a website to download the exe.

• squidman64@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Install chocolatey in windows and get the best of both worlds…now for 90% of programs I can type “choco install foo” and it finds the exe for me and silently installs it in the background so I don’t even have to click anything

• Excel@lemmy.megumin.org
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

There will never be a world where average users prefer typing arcane command line shit over clicking on a button in a GUI.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

you don’t have to use all of the app containers things, pacman, apt or whatever your distro uses is often enough.
      if you don’t have previews at all, your system is completely broken and fucked up if you get a command not found, well you just need install the missing tool…

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

you don’t have to use all of the app containers things, pacman, apt or whatever your distro uses is often enough.

I don’t even know what these words mean.

if you don’t have previews at all, your system is completely broken and fucked up

What are “previews”?

if you get a command not found, well you just need install the missing tool…

…what tool!?

I’m constantly genuinely surprised at how Linux users are unable to grasp why people don’t want to use it.

• shapis@lemmy.ml
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Your points are all entirely fair. It also surprises me how quite a few people don’t get it.

And it’s not that many requisites to fix it either.

A) don’t break shit on updates. This is the worst thing that could happen.

B) There needs to be a clicky app store. Just one. No options. No pick your repos. No pick between flatpak and whatever else. Just a visual app store you click an app and it install. You click to remove it gets removed.

It’s seriously not that much you’d think.

Having that said. If you do choose to endure through the learning curve. It’s mostly worth it. But fuck. It’s such a dumb self imposed learning curve.

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The biggest strength of linux, is also its greatest flaw and weakness.

Is that if people disagree with what a projects doing, they can split off, make their own version of the project, and now that has to compete with the other project, as well as the 5 others that are out there.

So things just keep diluting, and spreading out, when it should be going in the opposite direction for a good user experience.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

well gnome software and epiphany app stores just work.
            click, install, done.
            they provide an option to pick the source to install from (package/flatpak/snap), but they both automatically pick the best one for you.

Debian/Ubuntu almost never break on updates (unless you mess with the PPAs too much), but at a significant cost: some packages and software (especially desktop environments and system packages) being 1-2 years out of date.

• shapis@lemmy.ml
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

well gnome software and epiphany app stores just work.

Man I wish I had time to boot up a vm with a big distro, open both stores and try to install something, it’s immediately obvious.

There’s a reason everyone online says “oh yeah, the stores exist, i still use the terminal though”

They do not work.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

As a power user, I just like the terminal more, it’s much quicker to install stuff from the terminal.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

you mentioned that file previews are broken for you, thy should just work, unless some component it terribly broken or missing…

also about the last part, package name usually matchess the name of the command, so for example if an online guide tells you to use the ffmpeg command and it’s not found on your system, usually that means that you have to install a package called ffmpeg.
          some package managers and command line shells provide more helpful error messages, like: command X was not found, but here are some packages that provide this command, do you want to install one of them?

by the way, you mentioned that you tried using Fedora. common source of frustration is beginners trying to use apt on a system that doesn’t support or use it (apt is only used in Debian, Ubuntu, and their derivatives). Fedora uses dnf instead.

…but, as a beginner, you shouldn’t even worry about this, as most distros provide easy-to-use, graphical app store applications that can automagically install apps (from your package manager, Flatpak, Snap, etc, picking the source automatically if it’s unavailable in one of them) with a single click.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

you mentioned that file previews are broken for you, thy should just work, unless some component it terribly broken or missing…

Uhhhhh nope, that’s just the way it works.

…but, as a beginner, you shouldn’t even worry about this, as most distros provide easy-to-use, graphical app store applications that can automagically install apps

Yes I have the “Software” package manager. At best it is extremely slow, at worst it just doesn’t work at all. But it doesn’t come preloaded with many repositories, I had to manually load flatpak.

• elboyoloco@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have to have a computer science degree to install a peice of software… I just wanna double click the installer icon. I don’t want to have to write out some long String in terminal to install software. And sometimes it’s different depending on distro.

• Carter@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My PC only gets used for gaming and I was fed up of switching into Windows for every other game. I WANT to use Linux but game developers just aren’t allowing me.

• b14700@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

because i like driving but hate fixing my temperamental car

• Kyle@lemmy.mlB
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it comes down to my level of proficiency with computers. I’m a photographer and an artist. However, I am above average tech literate but with absolutely no formal training compared to anyone in the computer sciences.

When I use a Mac or PC I am a power user and most people think of me as very tech inclined there. I used terminal or command prompt for commands that I have learned from Google for a specific tasks and can follow most guides and tutorials online, but I can’t come up with strings of commands creatively to fix a problem.

With Linux, there’s all these weird little problems that might be unique to me and looking them up is really difficult and when someone says “oh it’s easy. Use the terminal” as if this incredibly confusing thing that I have zero fundamental knowledge of can solve my problem. A genuinely feel illiterate when I use Linux. I can write sudo though 🤷‍♂️

I feel like saying “just use terminal” is like telling a kindergarten kid to just use creative writing, algebra and calculus. The fundamentals have not been taught yet, I have no idea what to do.

When I learned Mac or PC, I was shown how to use a mouse, I could read and just clicking around and opening things and reading help files let me intuitively learn on my own what to do. With Linux, this way of learning achieves nothing. Maybe I can turn wifi on and off assuming it works when I install it.

And then when an update breaks everything and I have to mess around and terminal for hours or days between doing actual work, It’s a nightmare. The only Linux thing I’ve managed to keep running for years on end is a Synology. I use it for a bit of backup things but thank goodness the OS updates and app updates all work. Nothing is broken and I barely touch the machine. It just grabs my files from the network and backs them up. You should have seen how shocked I was when I was trying to install something on docker and it took days for me to realize I just type the name of the thing I want and it grabbed it from the web and installed it automatically. I spent way too long trying to figure out how to grab the actual package files and open them like installing something via an MSI file in windows.

• catshit_dogfart@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I am literally a Linux system admin, I bang on a command line interface for a living.

But I don’t use Linux at home, it’s just so much work. Every single thing is complicated. Last time I really tried in earnest to switch to a full Linux setup I was somewhere in the middle of a quick and easy 24-step process to get my webcam working, compiling the drivers from a modified source - and it was just a moment that broke me. Like, I’ve been working on this for an hour and I know I can do it but this is stuff I don’t even think about with windows.

So I broke down and bought Windows 10. It’s what I was trying to avoid, being a tight ass and didn’t want to buy an new OS.

I just don’t have the patience to troubleshoot every tiny thing like a big endeavor. I can, I just don’t want to. Everything I install, every peripheral I connect, it’s always a big deal getting it to work. Heck with that, not worth the trouble.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And here I use Windows and get into a blind rage within 5 minutes at how much fucking around there is getting devices working properly, and then they just drop out for no apparent reason.

• Communist@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t think anything like this has really been the case for a long time. How long ago was this?

• somedaysoon@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Bullshit… I honestly can’t believe half the comments here… so much conjecture, straight up bullshit, or opinions outdated by like 10+ years. Yours is another… if you are actually familiar with Linux, there is absolutely no way that you would put up with the lack of control and customization, the god-awful workflows, and knowing there are ads and telemetry data being sent from Windows.

• tko@tkohhh.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head… many of us grew up using Windows and/or Mac. Incremental changes to the OS aren’t a hindrance because of the baseline familiarity with the OS. Without OS familiarity, you’re going to feel like a fish out of water.

I’m getting better with linux, but I still daily drive on a Windows machine and I’m not sure if that will ever change.

• ocassionallyaduck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The Windows command line is just so far removed from linux/mac terminal. Powershell is the closest Windows has out of the box really, and it’s a poweruser tool exclusively. Not to mention that by default, Powershell comes with aliases for common commandline inputs, so users are still not learning the correct commands and syntax.

This builds an ignorance problem, as you alluded to. I’ve done a lot in android and linux, but not enough where I can hammer away at a linux terminal and do anything but cause damage.

And I don’t think this is a “fault” in linux so to speak, but it’s an issue that needs to be overcome for most users to make the switch from something where the terminal was strictly and “optional” tool for them.

• thiccdiccnicc@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

WSL? Windows for GUI programs and WSL for any CLI work. All my servers are Linux but I just ssh into them. Everything runs this way all nice and happy and I never ever touch PowerShell.

• Redredme@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It kept working.

Linux, every time, without fail, commits suicide after a few weeks/months. It’s never something big, always small stuff. A conf file which got fucked by a package. Init.d calls something stupid. Mbr bullshit.

And the same applies to get stuff to work. It’s not hard, but researching the issue and fixing it takes time. Those issues do not exist in windows.

It gets annoying. Windows, for all it’s shit has gotten more and more self repairing over the years.

I want to work. I want to play. Now, preferably.

• Digestive_Biscuit@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

A few years ago I installed Ubuntu on a laptop, used it a bunch of times then it got put away for a year or so. When I booted it back up it told me the OS was out of date and needed to be updated. When I tried it gave me some errors. I searched online and basically I couldn’t update because it was too old. I needed to update in stages but the next release was also out of support.

I realised I don’t use it enough to care. I installed windows on it.

I do use Linux at work and on things at home like routers, retro gaming, etc. They’re not really comparable though.

• Prootje@kbin.social
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

This, and gaming. Linux has come a long way, but has a long way to go. Linux seems to be a long string of hicccups that need to be solved, instead of something that works for me. Although the POPos distro was by far the smoothest, it still became troublesome trying to play games on it.

• b_n@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

So, I’ve been running Linux as a desktop for a number of years, never had a problem of it dieing weekly or monthly. I’ve had my share of “ah shit, I should restart because some package updated and tings got a little spooky”, but never out right ded.

In saying that, I’m used to this modus operandi, and how to fix these things, but I’m curious as to why you were having weekly/monthly issues. E.g. were you running the latest distros, and not LTS versions?

A comparison with windows is that they control the whole OS, and on theory everything is LTS. Linux gives you those freedoms, and also those problems if you choose to use them etc.

• 200cc@lemmy.tedomum.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Linux, every time, without fail, commits suicide after a few weeks

You must be doing something really wrong with it because on popular distros this is not really supposed to happen. If you encounter such issues report them to the devs. You probably want to try a more stable distro

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

They’re not doing anything wrong. This is my experience, as well as many many others. Why else would so many people and businesses overlook a completely free operating system? I’ve used all the “stable” distros.

If I reported issues to the devs, I wouldn’t be doing anything else, and it wouldn’t solve the problem I have TODAY. This is not a solution.

• CurseBunny [she/her]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

“Why else would so many businesses overlook a completely free operating system”

Well, they don’t. Plenty of businesses use Linux systems. It’s not (only) because it’s free, though. The issue of licensing often isn’t a factor that comes into play over having a system that just works. It’s easy to customize, flexible and comparatively secure. Your experiences with Linux are valid, but many businesses and individuals do use it daily and for good reason.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Well, they don’t. Plenty of businesses use Linux systems.

Well they do. Plenty of businesses (ie: virtually all of them) use Windows. Those are the ones I was referring to.

• Excel@lemmy.megumin.org
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

This thread is about Linux on the desktop, servers are not really relevant to this discussion.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

That’s fair, but it’s hard to not bring up servers when someone is making broad statements like “businesses don’t use Linux”, though. In the scope of that particular discussion I feel servers are pertinent enough.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

This is just nonsense.

No. It’s not.

Linux servers are all over the place.

Linux servers are run by IT admin. AKA people who know how to use Linux.

I feel like you’re not arguing in good faith, here.

I feel like you’re making up bullshit arguments based on angry words you read on the Internet.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

Yeah, businesses that use Linux generally hire people who know how to use Linux. I don’t think you actually know what you’re arguing about anymore, but you can do it by yourself. Hope things get better for you in the future.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

You are doing something wrong. Linux doesn’t blow up by itself… my grandparents and wife both run it for the past 5 years and haven’t had a single issue with it. So how is it that I know people that are completely tech illiterate and have no problems running it, but so many self-proclaimed “power users” here have issues with it?

Linux isn’t going to wall you in and prevent you from breaking it. That’s what I love about it, it gives you power and control over your machine, but if you don’t have the knowledge to wield that power, then you shouldn’t be fucking around with changing things. Stick with the package manager, and don’t fuck with system configs… unless you actually understand how it effects the system.

Why else would so many people and businesses overlook a completely free operating system

There are many, many reasons… not a single one is stability.

• shapis@lemmy.ml
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

If you think that’s the case. Check some big forums for each big distro right after a point update to read the tales of woe and breakage.

My personal experience with this has been:

Pop_OS broke after an update. Unrepairable as far as I could tell. And I tried hard. Happened to multiple.people there was a reddit thread about it.

Fedora broke on an update. Not sure if repairable. I didn’t try. I had the most boring vanilla installation possible.

Arch has been unbootable twice over the years. And had to do many manual interventions. Both times it was fixable.

People are not lying to you when they say it breaks randomly. Just because it wasn’t your personal experience doesn’t mean it isn’t a common experience. You just have been lucky so far.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

If you think that’s the case. Check some big forums for each big distro right after a point update to read the tales of woe and breakage.

Again, Linux gives the user full control over it, and that includes the ability to break it… again, many people can not wield that power properly.

People are not lying to you when they say it breaks randomly. Just because it wasn’t your personal experience doesn’t mean it isn’t a common experience. You just have been lucky so far.

You’re right, they are not technically lying, they are just too dumb to realize the thing they did to break it. When immutable distros become more popular, those people will be less likely to break things.

You just have been lucky so far.

It has absolutely nothing to do with luck. Don’t get me wrong, some Linux distros are known for updates breaking them. Arch based distros are infamous for it… but those are bleeding edge, rolling release distros. Distros based on Debian? Redhat? Never fucking break… there are reasons 90% of the top web and cloud infrastructures run on Linux: security and stability.

And Windows breaks all the time with updates… multiple times Windows updates have deleted peoples’ user files. That’s the most erogenous thing an OS can do… delete important user files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-explains-why-windows-10s-october-2018-update-was-deleting-peoples-files/

https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

Your’e right people are not lying, they just don’t realize what they have done to break it. Linux is great because it gives the users full power… and that includes the power to break it. Windows babysits the user, and it doesn’t allow them to make changes that break it.

So? A lot of dumb people use Linux too… just because dumb people break things doesn’t mean that Linux isn’t stable. There is a reason 90% of web and cloud infrastructure runs on Linux… because it’s a more secure and stable OS.

You just have been lucky so far.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

• shapis@lemmy.ml
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Your’e right people are not lying, they just don’t realize what they have done to break it.

I’m running a fresh Debian stable build for the past 2-3 days, with NO apt package installed(other than flatpak), no other modifications, vanilla as vanilla gets, only flatpaks installed.

So far: On first install, apt upgrade was broken… lol… yeah.

Other than that, it freezes on suspend, and I’m getting weird screen flickering that it’s really hard to troubleshoot so far, specially because when I turn on OBS it mysteriously just doesnt happen. Also steam doesnt open up sometimes, sometimes it does, depends on if you’re feeling lucky or not, it also doesnt respect the DE settings, so when it does open the scale is wrong, and everything is tiny.

And this is with a distro known to be stable.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  11 months ago

Why don’t you explain to me why I have not had any problems running 3 servers for the last 5 years. And why I’ve not had any problems running it on 6 other machines of varying desktops and laptops? Why don’t you explain to me why 90% of web and cloud infrastructure chooses Linux because it is so reliable and stable? I do everything in Linux… everything, including recording in OBS and video editing in Lightworks, no problems.

So tell me, why is it only certain users that seem to have a problem with Linux? Why do you think that is? Because it seems to me the really basic users get on fine with it, and the really advanced users get on fine with it. The only people that have problems are Windows power users that have no fucking clue what they are doing, but try things anyways and break things.

• Skates@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

First time I ever seriously used Linux was for work, back when I was a developer. You’d have to pay me to use it again. I like gaming, but I don’t like wasting my time troubleshooting games. Nor do I enjoy debugging random crashes/black screens in random drivers. Sure, it’s fun, but if I’m gonna work for it, someone somewhere better be signing my overtime slip. Cause I get a few hours free per day, and I’d rather not deal with sigsegv anymore if I can help it.

Not to mention sound. My job as dev included using ALSA for some use cases. I don’t know if you ever had the misfortune to need to do that or how it went for you, but if I ever need to touch that shit again I will scalp Torvalds with a goddamn headphone jack.

I installed windows 11 when I bought my last PC. I figured I’d give it a shot, see if it’s as bad as all my dev friends say it is. You know how many drivers I’ve had to fix to make my games work? Zero. You know how many hours I spent debugging weird issues? Also zero.

There’s a reason windows has a price tag. And part of that reason is that it works better than free stuff. I’m a believer in FOSS, but if you’re a craftsman and you can’t hammer a nail without needing to adjust your hammer every few swings, you should find a hammer that’s not made out of silly putty and dreams.

• dragnet@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Odd that you’ve had so much trouble with Linux. My experience generally had been that it requires more time on initial config, then it just keeps working unless you change something.

• crystal@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The issues with games usually arise because people try to run games made for Windows on Linux. Just like you can’t run Linux games on Windows (unless you use WSL, which is just straight up running Linux), you can’t easily run most Windows games on Linux.

• MrSlicer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Years ago I had the opposite issue. The printer driver would rarely work. When I switched to ubuntu for unrelated reasons the printer worked everytime. I suspect that this is very unusual and 99.999% of the time your scenario is more likely. Just wanted to share =).

• b_n@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

See, I sometimes complain about having to use a Mac (the hardware is fine, the OS, meh), but you have reminded me that it could be worse. Thanks for your suffering.

• BearPerson@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You have ro spend some time making things work, I don’t always have the time.

Although I’m using WSL2 with Ubuntu because of the terminal.

• ryncewynd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just found every little thing so hard in Linux.

Screens, scaling, nvidia drivers, games… Even spent an hour on gnome trying to get my desktop background image to fill the whole screen instead of repeating to fill the space. Solution ended up being download an image editor and resize the image to be the exact same size as my screen resolution. Tried KDE and kept hitting 100% CPU bug

In the end I just wanted a pc that worked, so went back to Windows with WSL.

Seems a perfect combo. Do my dev in WSL, and the desktop just works.

However I’m getting increasingly frustrated at every UI change Microsoft make… Which is what made me try Linux in the first place. If Microsoft Win7 and early 10 was great, I wish they’d stop touching UI and just improve under the hood