Additionally, what changes are necessary for you to be able to use Linux full time?

• shapis@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Your points are all entirely fair. It also surprises me how quite a few people don’t get it.

And it’s not that many requisites to fix it either.

A) don’t break shit on updates. This is the worst thing that could happen.

B) There needs to be a clicky app store. Just one. No options. No pick your repos. No pick between flatpak and whatever else. Just a visual app store you click an app and it install. You click to remove it gets removed.

It’s seriously not that much you’d think.

Having that said. If you do choose to endure through the learning curve. It’s mostly worth it. But fuck. It’s such a dumb self imposed learning curve.

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The biggest strength of linux, is also its greatest flaw and weakness.

Is that if people disagree with what a projects doing, they can split off, make their own version of the project, and now that has to compete with the other project, as well as the 5 others that are out there.

So things just keep diluting, and spreading out, when it should be going in the opposite direction for a good user experience.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

well gnome software and epiphany app stores just work.
      click, install, done.
      they provide an option to pick the source to install from (package/flatpak/snap), but they both automatically pick the best one for you.

Debian/Ubuntu almost never break on updates (unless you mess with the PPAs too much), but at a significant cost: some packages and software (especially desktop environments and system packages) being 1-2 years out of date.

• shapis@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

well gnome software and epiphany app stores just work.

Man I wish I had time to boot up a vm with a big distro, open both stores and try to install something, it’s immediately obvious.

There’s a reason everyone online says “oh yeah, the stores exist, i still use the terminal though”

They do not work.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

As a power user, I just like the terminal more, it’s much quicker to install stuff from the terminal.