since im the most hyperfixated i’ve ever been, from right to left: char, mikazuki, loran

• LeylaLove [she/her, love/loves]@hexbear.netM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’m on the far end with Bill from King of The Hill. As everybody knows, I love King of the Hill, I’ve watched it a million times and fall asleep to it every night. I firmly believe that Bill is an egg, or was at least written a few eggs. Normally wouldn’t declare a person an egg, but Bill is a fictional character so 🤷‍♀️ Bill has too many real emotional issues with gender in the show, and many aren’t immediately played for laughs.

His happiest moments are when he’s able to be comfortably “queer”, whether it was “pretending” to be queer to fit in with the other hairdressers at Hottyz, when he was put into dresses as a punishment as a kid and says how pretty the dresses were, or living with hippies at a national park. While part of this is fulfilled by Bill’s higher need for community, it’s because he needs a more queer community for him to truly feel comfortable as himself. Bill’s character is driven by gender dysphoria that he’s been alienated from over decades of living in a conservative south, with the alienation of the American conservatism being a huge theme among the other characters in the show.

Or the other times he’s shown to be happy is when he’s able to be an identityless do machine, giving up everything to the Harmonahollics, or being roped into an MLM.

So let’s go down the checklist. Bill is an extremely depressed man who is completely unable to take care of his own appearance, is super functional when he can separate from his own identity, references enjoying crossdressing as a kid even when it was used as a punishment, orbits queer groups he can’t fully be a part of because he doesn’t understand how he fits into it as a “man” whose attracted to women. That’s not even going into Lenore, whose full storyline with Bill is honestly just too depressing from the trans angle for me to want to go into.