At various points, on Twitter, Jezos has defined effective accelerationism as “a memetic optimism virus,” “a meta-religion,” “a hypercognitive biohack,” “a form of spirituality,” and “not a cult.” …

When he’s not tweeting about e/acc, Verdon runs Extropic, which he started in 2022. Some of his startup capital came from a side NFT business, which he started while still working at Google’s moonshot lab X. The project began as an April Fools joke, but when it started making real money, he kept going: “It’s like it was meta-ironic and then became post-ironic.” …

On Twitter, Jezos described the company as an “AI Manhattan Project” and once quipped, “If you knew what I was building, you’d try to ban it.”

• sc_griffith@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

He noted that Jezos doesn’t reflect his IRL personality. “The memetics and the sort-of bombastic personality, it’s what gets algorithmically amplified,” he said, but in real life, “I’m just a gentle Canadian.”

uwu im just a smollbean canadian

• self@awful.systemsM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Jezos has defined effective accelerationism as “a memetic optimism virus,” “a meta-religion,” “a hypercognitive biohack,” “a form of spirituality,” and “not a cult.”

“It’s like it was meta-ironic and then became post-ironic.”

Jezos described the company as an “AI Manhattan Project” and once quipped, “If you knew what I was building, you’d try to ban it.”

“Our goal is really to increase the scope and scale of civilization as measured in terms of its energy production and consumption,” he said. Of the Jezos persona, he said: “If you’re going to create an ideology in the time of social media, you’ve got to engineer it to be viral.”

Guillaume “BasedBeffJezos” Verdon appears, by all accounts, to be an utterly insufferable shithead with no redeeming qualities

• GorillasAreForEating@awful.systemsOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

“Our goal is really to increase the scope and scale of civilization as measured in terms of its energy production and consumption,” h

old and busted: paperclip maximizer

new hotness: entropy maximizer

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

you’ve got to engineer it to be viral.

All this attention including the whole Andreessen thing and he doesn’t go above 50k followers. As far as virality goes that is pretty bad.

Also from his twitter: "We literally became a sufficient threat to the system that they felt compelled to attempt to neutralize me.

The thing is, I am a man of belief. You can take everything from me. I don’t care. I am going to keep going until I’m dead.

You cannot stop acceleration."

Sure buddy the system did that. Keep riding the wave, in five years we will all gather on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west.

• self@awful.systemsM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

imagine huffing your own farts this hard cause you came up with BasedBeffJezos and posted garbage on Twitter that was so out of touch that monstrous every billionaire instantly agreed with it

• froztbyte@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

“As measured in terms of its energy production and consumption”

That’s so extremely fucking insane, jesus. We are already dealing with those issues at the “low” end and they want to fucking accelerate it? Christ these people are the fucking worst

• locallynonlinear@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I had kind of the same thought. Woah, maximize long term energy production??? How novel, let’s get our best people right on that, thanks for mentioning it, gosh didnt occur to anyone.

I wonder when it finally occurs to them that the monetary system is literally a proxy for energy production and consumption, and their entire philosophy might as well read: “make more $$$.” I’ll have to ask the stupid question again, what material difference is there between e/acc, ea, and delusion?

• gerikson@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

There’s a subtype of goldbugs that want “hard money” to be represented by something more universal than gold, like energy. It’s why they convince themselves Bitcoin is worth something. Maybe this joker is one of them.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I mean my personal thoughts on it are nuanced. We can’t exactly just stop everything, and there’s a clear (and valid) demand for some cases of energy use

But we also have some extreme problems already, and we reaaaaally need to get a handle on those too. Just headlong running into using more and more is fucking insane

• locallynonlinear@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yes, I agree. My personal thoughts are also that long term energy maximization is synonymous with regulatorial systems and dealing with the complications of energy use. Paradoxically long term maximization is defeated by any naive short term abuse. Only a naive understanding of physics supports the idea that you can simply, just produce and use more energy just like that.

Which is why theae takes don’t mean, anything. It’s a revelation to want money and do stupid without consequence.

• gerikson@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

HN discovers this article, almost a day later (laggards): https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38500192

A voice analysis conducted by Catalin Grigoras, Director of the National Center for Media Forensics, compared audio recordings of Jezos and talks given by Verdon

A particularly creepy doxxing by Forbes…

Oh no, are the tools developed by SV startups being used for stuff you don’t like? How sad HN.

• sc_griffith@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t want to libel the author by claiming the piece was planted by Beff himself, but what’s more likely, this writer who mostly covers what’s trending on tiktok gets a big scoop using voice recognition on a twitter space and then writes a glowing dossier? Or beff got on the phone with a publicist and conjured a big reveal with a softball interview all while namedropping his new startup?

extremely funny that they think this article makes him look good. also extremely funny that they think this is a big scoop

• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Oh no, are the tools developed by SV startups being used for stuff you don’t like? How sad HN.

tormenting the torment nexus. heh, how the turntables

• Shitgenstein1@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

In its reaction against both EA and AI safety advocates, e/acc also explicitly pays tribute to another longtime Silicon Valley idea. “This is very traditional libertarian right-wing hostility to regulation," said Benjamin Noys, a professor of critical theory at the University of Chichester and scholar of accelerationism. Jezos calls it the “libertarian e/acc path.”

At least the Italian futurists were up front about their agenda.

“We’re trying to solve culture by engineering,” Verdon said. “When you’re an entrepreneur, you engineer ways to incentivize certain behaviors via gradients and reward, and you can program a civilizational system."

Reading Nudge to engineer the ‘Volksschädling’ to board the trains voluntarily. Dusting off the old state eugenics compensation programs.

• bitofhope@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The fuck do they mean “solve culture”? Is culture a problem to be solved? Actually don’t answer that.

• self@awful.systemsM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

even more horrifying — they see culture as a system of equations they can use AI to generate solutions for, and the correct set of solutions will give them absolute control over culture. they apply this to all aspects of society. these assholes didn’t understand hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy or any of the other sci fi they cribbed these ideas from, and it shows

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Don’t have to have Culture War when you can just systemically deploy the exact culture you want right from the comfort of your prompt, amirite?!

(This is a shitpost idea but it’s probably halfway accurate, maybe modulo the prompt (but there will definitely be someone also trying that))

• Sailor Sega Saturn@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

former Google engineer.

Of course. At this point whenever I read something with the phrase former Google engineer I’m just gonna assume they’re doing something terrible.