• comedygoblin@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is literally just a repackaging of “are traps gay”. The homophobia and transphobia don’t go away because you said “femboy” instead of “trap”

• ShiningWing@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Glad someone’s saying it, big agree, the current obsession with “femboys” is literally the same shit with a different name, it’s even using the exact same anime/game characters that people were calling “traps” a few years ago

(Edit: before someone complains, obviously I’m not against the existence of femboys, I’m against people spreading the same harmful “trap” memes wordswapped to “femboy”, and how people still use it to describe characters who aren’t even boys and are often closer to trans women or nonbinary)

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s because it is, there’s also an aspect of transphobia to it because they’re usually rebranding of “trap” memes, for which the point was always to fetishize trans women’s bodies while denying us our gender identity and rights (this is especially obvious when certain characters used in said memes are literally trans women in canon)

• Bloops@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

(this is especially obvious when certain characters used in said memes are literally trans women in canon)

Is this a reference to Ferris, or is Astolfo trans too?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I don’t know that much about Astolfo, but they seem closer to implied nonbinary than a strict femboy, though I could be wrong

Bridget is also a character I think of because she used to get this treatment a lot before she was recently explicitly confirmed as a trans girl

From what I’ve heard from a friend who cares more about anime than I do, Ferris definitely seems like one of those characters who’s basically a trans girl but everyone pretends is a trap “femboy”, partly due to the source material not handling it well

• Bloops@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Gotcha.

partly due to the source material not handling it well

This stuff annoys me so much and it’s also present in genderbending fiction where writers will swap someone’s gender for the laughs but never actually consider the implications. Is it so hard not to write about things you know nothing about?

• Jonathan12345@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If I don’t know it’s a guy, he’s functionally a girl, therefore the left doesn’t apply. Now I just need to pull another bullshit philosophy argument to counter the one on the right.

• Bugzzy°🍡@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I am so fucking tired of all the memes saying we are literally the same as women. I know that on r/femboy everyone is a trans woman, but some of us are actually male. I’m a trans man that likes to dress cute, that doesn’t mean I’m functionally identical to a woman, femboy doesn’t mean “looks like a woman” and if all you like is “femboys” you can’t notice are male until you get to the penis congratulations you’re just attracted to trans women

• lemat_87@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It is the problem of attempting to describe the world with just yes/no statements without context. It works ideal with mathematics, but not in our complicated world.

As a straight, I can say they can be attractive.

• relay@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I guess it depends. You can find a particular femboy not attractive and it would route you to another place like “you might still be gay”.

• yewler@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Not really; an argument is valid if the conclusion is true only when the premises are valid. I believe the argument can be best constructed as follows:

1. If you think femboys are attractive, you’re gay
      2. If you don’t think femboys are attractive, you’re gay

Therefore, you’re gay

Not only is this a valid argument because assuming the premises, the conclusion must be true, it’s formally valid because it follows the form

1. A -> B
      2. ~A -> B

Therefore B

And this argument is valid for all choices of A and B. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the conclusion being true.

• HaSch@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

My statement refers to the construction of ==> from truth tables as a logical gate:

• Both (False ==> True) and (False ==> False) are True; everything can follow from false premises
        • (True ==> True) is True; A true premise always implies a true conclusion
        • (True ==> False) is False; you cannot infer a falsehood from a truth.

By counting the entries of the table, we see that if Y is True, then (X ==> Y) must always be True no matter what we substitute for X. The joke is that this means we assume foreknowledge of the reader being gay

• yewler@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ah I see what you mean; you’re right. Though an argument being valid and an implication being true are different things, so I think we misunderstood each other’s meaning.

• chakalaka@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

is this like some kind of implied being gay is bad/worth mockery thing like all the rest of these memes are or what