Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this kind of question, my options on Lemmy are kind of limited.

I play around a lot with experimental types of music and have been using a series of poly-rythm soundscapes that I have created for sleep aid. A couple of friends tried out the stuff I created and said it was amazing for sleep and relaxation.

This gave me the idea for an app that created the poly-rythm soundscapes using simple(ish) formulas that allowed the user to change the scale, scale mode, duration, ambient effects, and poly-meter type to suit their preferences.

I am currently injured and am on disability so have all time and boredom in the world to throw into this project.

My entire programming experience was a single semester of Visual Basic in 2003.

Where would I begin to bring something like this into existence? Thanks in advance.

• eldritch_lich@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I would say that your best bet would be to learn React Native. It’s an excellent option for mobile apps and you can reuse what you learn for a lot of other things as well. It’s super popular so you should find no shortage of resources if you get stuck.

https://reactnative.dev/

Another option is Flutter. I personally don’t like it too much unless I also intend to target desktop (and even then I’d probably use something else) but it’s fairly popular as well so you should be able to find plenty of learning resources.

https://flutter.dev/

• ImpossibilityBox@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Wow, I had no idea that React Native basically ran most major programs in existence. Looks like it might be time to sit down and take some online courses/YouTube tutorials for this thing if I really want to get serious with this project.

Thanks!

• Kuinox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

As @eldritch_lich said, react native is a good choice.
    Start to learn JS first. Find tutorial in the format you want.
    You will have to write useless code for the sake of learning.
    Then when you will start to know a bit of JS, you can start to learn html, css, then react. Then you will be able to write your app.
    It may sounds like a lot, but:

• learning JS can be fun in itself
    • you don’t need to know a lot of html or css to start building your app.
    • ChatGPT can helps you a lot at building your app, especially for the HTML/CSS part you wont know
    • ImpossibilityBox@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Sweet thanks for laying out a simple progression path.

How good have you found ChatGPT to be? My understanding is that sometimes it’s great but other times it’s way off base. Then you have to figure out what went wrong and you know how the saying goes “You don’t know what you don’t know.”

• Kuinox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

A tip I forgot to give: Use the debugger very early while learning JS, it’s very helpful to understand what the code is doing.

How good have you found ChatGPT to be?

It’s great for snippets, or explaining simple code. It does fail often when hitting deep in some API, or when you want to do thing in a specific way because you know what you are doing. You have to talk a lot to it, if you want it to produce code for you.
        But in your case, i recommend to never copy paste JS from ChatGPT, because it’s your first programming language (html and css are not programming language), and making your brain used to code will be the most important thing I said to not copy, but you can ask questions to it, and it will be often correct, dont hesitate to send big chunks of your own code to chatgpt to get explanations.

• knapsackinjury@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

ChatGPT should be plenty good for any foundational questions you have. And asking “how could I improve this code” with a code snippet can give you insight into better ways to do things. If you ask it for broad responses like “write me an app for relaxation sounds”, I can guarantee that it won’t work, but using it alongside a tutorial when you have questions or get an error can save so much time.