• Fades@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Wow I have heard absolutely nothing about this until now, has there been no marketing for this or have I just been out of the loop??

• Hildegarde@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m pretty sure this is the announcement. The game awards is an event where things are often announced.

Can’t have an expensive award show without someone paying the expenses.

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I still just want the base game for PC. I need my Mimir fix after the previous game. Or Bloodborne.

• CopernicusQwark@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I think there’s a distinction - I would consider an “update” with new content to be something minor (such as BG3’s recent epilogue content). “Free DLC” to me is a much more hefty addition, such as the Godmaster DLC for Hollow Knight.

(Disclaimer: I’ve not watched this trailer since I’m at work)

• PieMePlenty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The Witcher 3 had 16 free dlc packs after release. I have no idea what they were or their distinction. Was definitely a marketing term for content updates that they can’t sell because the content is so miniscule.

• CopernicusQwark@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

That’s a fair point. Maybe it comes down to “is this something that you expect should have been in the game to begin with, or is it something extra that the Devs have added over and beyond?”.

Definitely a very broad term to the point of near-meaninglessness though.

• yesterdayshero@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

So a game could release an “update” with less content and charge for it, and that would be ok to call a DLC, because they charged for it?