i’m getting the shakes again, The MMO shakes, i need someone to please PLEASE tell me that WoW is a shit game that is definitely not worth me spending a monthly fee for. bear-despair i’m going through an addon list already i’m too far in, please help.

• the_itsb [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Will they give you a free month? The last time I had the MMO shakes, all I had to do to cure them was login to ESO and try to do literally anything - all the popups about new “opportunities” that were just loot boxes and micro-transactions gave me the ick, and I logged right back out.

• roux [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Had a similar experience with Diablo 3 but instead of a popup spam, it was a friend that was practically foaming at the mouth with how obsessed he had become with the game. All I had asked from him was to level me to cap so I could gear and play with him for that season. He began to practically play the game for me, telling all the stuff I need for this and that and blah blah blah and it reminded me real quick why I left the online gaming community. There’s no fun in it anymore and I don’t have time to worry about minmaxing and deminitioning returns. I just wanted to casually click shit on a screen and chill with my friendo.

• sharedburdens [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I played wow for a large part of my life and have been both happier and more successful since I stopped playing. (It also was how I didn’t go insane boymoding for all of college though so take that for what it’s worth)

Play path of exile or something free.

• Thordros [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Go ahead and resubscribe. Right now.

Your entire quest log is going to be filled up with disjointed story quests that in no way interact with each other.

If you manage to navigate through that slop, enjoy literally nobody willing to invite you to anything, because the last raid of the expansion is already over, and if you aren’t Ahead of the Curve, you’re trash.

You’re welcome.

• RagnarokOnline@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

“A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered. You are speaking, Hmán, as if pleasure were one thing and the memory another. It is all one thing.” - CS Lewis’ Sci-fi Trilogy

Your nostalgia for the game is just as much a part of your experience of the game as when you originally played it. Enjoy feeling the good memories and that desire to go back to them, but know that you can never go back. Remembering good times is just those good times becoming “fully mature”.

• the_post_of_tom_joad [any, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered. You are speaking, Hmán, as if pleasure were one thing and the memory another. It is all one thing.

God damn CS Lewis has a way with words. the last line in the Narnia Chronicles is so beautiful it makes me want to believe in god

This quote is new to me but I’ve gotta read that story for sure.

Damn, deep shit.

• RagnarokOnline@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I can’t recommend his scifi trilogy enough! The first book (“Out of the Silent Planet”) is my favorite, but the 2nd is also pretty good. The 3rd book is COMPLETELY different from the first two, but still enjoyable.

There are clear allusions to monotheistic faith in each of them, but I believe he was a philosopher first and foremost. Great reading for over winter holiday if you get a break from school/work at all.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Oh man, there’s tons to choose from! I play on truewow.org ( i don’t actually recommend them, but just as an example so you can see what one looks like)

You pick your favorite expansion first, then start googling around for pirate servers.

• GOOD SERVERS ARE FTP with donations allowed for QoL and vanity items

• Pay attention to population levels and community vibe, they can vary.

• There used to be a great resource on Reddit, what was it called? brainfart

• Oh yeah /r/wowservers/

• Feel free to ask any other questions, i am not up to date on new servers but have played various private servers for years

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

No, though since i recalled wowservers ive been lurking and see glowing reviews of it. \Scowl maybe too glowing…lol.

Hmm, It’s a classic server with modified classes and new quests, open since 2019 i guess? Looks like they have a strong pop …

The modified classes and quests look really fun. You didn’t ask my opinion (sorry) but as long as their server is located outside the states, they are FtP and they don’t have PtW, I’d say give em a shot!

• rtstragedy [she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

you can also start your own server if you want to play single player, but you should probably install either the auto balance mod or the janky playerbots https://github.com/azerothcore/azerothcore-wotlk

I thought it was a fun coding project and I hate playing with random people (wow community is scary and stressful imo) so my partner, parents and I play on the server and are having a very relaxing time.

• Dolores [love/loves]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

WOW sucks, Runescape sucks, Star Wars Galaxies sucks, Black Desert sucks, they all suck. we deserve games that respect our limited time on this plane

• WhatDoYouMeanPodcast [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I just an unsociable amount of time in WoW in the first month and only month despite the warnings of my friend who did the same in WotLK Classic. Let me tell you something, GenderIsOpSec, he was right and I’m right in that you have better things to do. There are better games to play. My friend is somehow a mastermind of ingratiating himself into communities and does it during his leisure time. He used that to get into a top tier raiding guild, getting glad titles, etc. He still called it a waste. My ass was anxious to join a discord to talk to people having a laugh. The game by itself is a flood of text you probably won’t read, cutscenes you end up skipping, and a gameplay loop that isn’t that bad. You heard me right, it’s not that bad. Killing shit in WoW is kinda fun. But there are other ways you can spend that time that rocks. If you’re going to be alone, you can play a single player game. If you can socialize well, play lethal company, or do cold calls or whatever extroverts do in their free time.

It’s cheap entertainment. It’s stimulating, but not engaging. The best part of it would be the community building and you’re better off building that community over something that isn’t fucking WoW.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

WoW is a shit game that is definitely not worth spending a monthly fee. You’ll waste so much time doing dailies or queueing for raids and dungeons that could be spent actually playing other games. You’re blinded by nostalgia and trying to recapture the time you played your first MMO all over again but you never will.

• super_mario_69 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Why play WoW when you could simply play Noita, the only good video game?

edit damn i forgot disco elysium existed. one of the two only good video games

edit wait, outer wilds exists as well. one of three only good video games