What search engine is currently showing the most useful results? What other tricks do we have aside of adding “reddit” or whatever internet community to the results?

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I recently switched to Bing after years of disappointment from Google and months of disappointment from DDG. Bing is pretty disappointing too, but less so, so far. I tried to use the chat feature a couple of days ago, but it said I have to download the app. Nah… fuck these tech companies and their apps.

• AlternateRoute@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The “preview” for the chat feature requires the app or edge on desktop currently but I do find myself turning to it every time I get frustrated with a google search these days.

Less disappointing is probably the best discrimination as you said.

• DrNeurohax@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I use the ChatGPT feature from desktop Firefox with no problems. Maybe it specifically denies Chrome, in which case I bet you could change the user agent string and get it to work.

• DrNeurohax@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I just tried it again on desktop and it worked, but the reason was that I downloaded an extension a while ago and forgot about it. When I disabled the extension, it stopped working.

There used to be a way to enable installing any extension on mobile FFx Dev, but I’m not sure if that still works. The desktop extension just changes the user agent string, so that might be another route to enabling it.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I downloaded Firefox Nightly on my phone about a week ago so that I can change my user agent string to get Google to stop F’ing up YouTube pages, but it doesn’t seem to work. I guess I’ll look into that extension. Do you know what it’s called?