What’s your city doing (or starting to do) that makes you happy?

• djsaskdja@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t know what city this post is referencing, but I’d be willing to bet a ton of money it’s not in the US lol.

• Fried_out_Kombi@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s Montreal, so you are indeed correct. Honolulu did actually open the first segment of a very similar automated light metro system just 2 weeks ago, although it doesn’t have the same service frequency as ours. It’s still enough to make it America’s newest metro system, though!

• Jefflix@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

From what I understood, it will be 3:45 at first and they will ramp it up eventually to 2:30 on the existing line

• idunnololz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Meanwhile in Toronto, there’s a bunch of public transit “promised” but all of them are going to run over the deadline by like 5 years. It’s still way better than nothing.

• staxey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My city in Michigan, U.S. is putting in bike lanes on our biggest road through the suburbs. People are definitely up in arms about it, but I can’t wait to be able to ride my bike on this road, which is not possible to do safely now.

• AspieEgg@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is basically what Ottawa is doing. The only mistake they made was that it doesn’t work when it snows… in Canada.

• x2Zero7@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My city in indiana is starting a road diet and expanding the width of several sidewalks! Exciting times

• dishpanman@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Brightline is about to open their high speed rail between West Palm and Orlando! There will be less Mad Max Road Warrior reenactments on I95 because of this!

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yeah except the ticket prices are like $80+ per person, per direction.

One person maybe worth it just to save the headache, but as soon as you add one more person it just doesn’t make sense to not drive unfortunately… the gas for the trip would only be ~$50 round trip.

• dishpanman@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

That’s true, it’s definitely not the cheapest solution, especially for a family of four. But there are a lot of single people and couples who would rather relax for a few hours than deal with I95. You’re essentially paying for convenience. Hopefully the prices will adjust once it gets out of the early adoption phase. The Orlando Tampa line will be a godsend to not have to deal with I4.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Hopefully Orlando-Tampa will be cheaper

I mean I’m glad we’re getting the option but I just can’t think of any realistic scenario I’d use it at that price. Over $300 if my SO and I wanted to take a trip down to Miami, vs $50 in gas… and it’s barely faster.

I hate this state

• Cruxifux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t think the kind of people that do those things ever take public transit but I hope you’re right.

• dishpanman@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ha! I was more thinking along the lines of having less traffic making people less pissed off and crazy! I’m probably being overly hopeful and optimistic.

• nbafantest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I love finding a new section that has new separated bike lanes. It’s one of the best surprises. Basically “here’s an entire new city and area you can visit”

• PlaidBaron@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Adding more bike lanes, implementing more bus lanes, and starting to electrify the fleet.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah trains are a massive civil engineering project. You have to commission a bunch of studies of everything from archaeology to soil and water to route efficiency, go through several levels of engineering designs, obtain a lot of connected land, then you have to build the thing including preparing the land to not settle too much under the weight of a train because soil is a particulate fluid. And every step of the way everyone is mad it’s taking so long and costing so much.

• AnxiousWorker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

In my 3rd world country the catch is that is going to take 20 years to build it. In my city they took 15 years to upgrade a train system to a subway, and they are doing a entire underground line, with only 7 km, that started in 2014, which we have no idea about the complete percentage.

• Cruxifux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It takes that long in first world countries too.

At least in the one I live in it does.

• Cruxifux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It takes that long in first world countries too.

At least in the one I live in it does.