Got this from a post on the alien site. From previous discussion on Lemmy it sounded like Linux users had good things to say about this game but were discouraged about the upcoming FaceIt implementation such that they wouldn’t be able to join anticheat enabled matches. Those users and Linux gamers on the fence would probably appreciate hearing this news.

With this announcement on the dev team’s community Discord, it appears Linux users will NOT lose access to matches with anticheat.

Source: https://discord.com/channels/303681520202285057/345616096470237186/1129780379218358282
(BattleBit Remastered official Discord server)

• M-Reimer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

“Popular version of Linux”? I smell really bad things. They could lock this down to just one distribution.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If they officially support one distro, how difficult would it be to get working on any other distro? Most of my steam library was never supposed to run on Linux, but that doesn’t stop valve.

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Probably only focusing on one distro to have a set of packages and their versions to aim at. Any distro that has the same package versions will probably work.

This is basically what steam did with its linux support with Ubuntu, until they switched distro bases with steamdeck OS.

Hell, a quick glance on steam still shows Ubuntu as the supported OS under most games that have linux versions.

• nani8ot@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Valve still uses Ubuntu as it’s base for it’s Linux game runtimes. Dev’s are encouraged to use it for developing Linux games, since it guarantees specific dependencies being available. This runtime is a container which comes with Steam and works on any distro.

Valve basically solved Linux problem with too many distros with different deps.

• M-Reimer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Maybe they target one of those “immutable” distributions to be able to bring invasive anti cheat to Linux. Meaning the same spyware as they develop for Windows based on a closed source, signed, kernel module.

• andruid@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Immutable and popular are pretty far from each other at the moment, and this coming from someone running kinote now!

• nani8ot@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That won’t work since Valve doesn’t want to bake such software into SteamOS.

My guess is that they’ll use FaceIt AC as a server side component to detect cheaters.

• Rentlar@lemmy.caOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Transcription of image:

[EN|CN] PoM (Moderator shield) Today at 16:23

Just announced on [Stage Channel] there will be a new version of FaceIT that supports Linux!!! (Popular version of Linux and SteamDeck will be supported) And different than the CSGO version. BBR will be the first game to be using that version (A more casual version)

• Count Zero@lemmy.villa-straylight.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m still not buying this game until this is setup and proven working.

Choosing a company for their anti cheat that is aggressively anti Linux as they’ve been in the past and the level of access they require gives me good reason to not trust them.

• Rentlar@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Hey that’s a fair assessment, I think it’s fine to wait and see what this implementation will ultimately look like. We got a confirmation but details are still scant.

• JonnyRobbie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You know that counter strike has had first class linux support for many years and you can play it now? This is just about 3rd party matchmaking service.

• Zoidsberg@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Well this is great news. My coworkers have been no-lifing this game and I’ve been refusing to buy, seeing as I’d be “locked out” when the new anti-cheat hit.