• Happybara@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Tolerance is just an extension of the social contract. Intolerant people are actively violating the social contract and, as such, are not eligible for the benefits such a contract provides. This has been settled law for millennia. Live and let live… or else.

• bigFab@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

The problem is ppl disagree on what represents tolerance. i.e: letting a trans compete in sport can be tolerance of gender diversity, while at the same time intolerance of competition rules.

Sometimes one cannot know what is someone fighting intolerance gonna end up doing. Germans had been too tolerant of jewish wealthy elite until nazis had enough of it. Hitler was democratically elected and crimes begun only after that.

• bigFab@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

I didn’t know this specifics, but after reading that I’m still waiting further explanation. Each party had own guerilla and wikipedia didn’t mention especially bloody SA behaviour.

2000 SA vs 130 police = deads 15 vs 4 is a pretty normal protest clash outcome. I believe they killed also some more jews, but from that to a concentration camp there is a difference.

• voidMainVoid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

letting a trans compete in sport can be tolerance of gender diversity, while at the same time intolerance of competition rules.

Oh no! Won’t somebody think of the rules?!

Rules don’t have rights. People do. When the rules don’t respect people’s rights, then the rules have to change.

• cameron_vale@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

or else you’ll be untolerated?

Methinks your algorithm is too simplistic.

Have you considered using your own judgment?

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

It’s kind of like pest control. I don’t hate termites. I just can’t have them tearing up my home, so they have to be exterminated.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

That’s just something the ignorant say

If you try to get rid of intolerance then you will find they out number you and it will lead to a more intolerant society

You have to limit the ability for it to spread by expanding education and publicly engage with them to challenge their ideas so that others can see the faults in their logic

The worst thing you can do is force them into their own communities, something social media promotes, because then intolerance grows

• petrol_sniff_king@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

publicly engage with them to challenge their ideas so that others can see the faults in their logic

Yes, but you want to be careful you’re not lending legitimacy to their movement, either. If it’s a fringe, wacko idea, it shouldn’t be on NBC.

But yeah, inoculating people against the kinds of arguments they make is good work.

• cameron_vale@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Intolerance is an expression of anger. So are a lot of other bad behaviors. Anger always finds a way.

Get rid of the anger and you get rid of the intolerance.