• Brkdncr@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

You don’t even need that. My microwave is wifi connected but still can’t keep time. Instead of using NTP like any appliances or industrial control system in the last decade+, it syncs to your phone time though an app.

Wtf.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Nothing in my house is WiFi connected, other than computers and phones. It’s staying that way forever.

• Brkdncr@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

A rather neat feature is scanning the barcode of an item with the phone app and the heating program is set automatically.

But setting the time automatically using ntp would have been enough for me.

• Nalivai
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

“Smart” microwave might be generally helpful, but a lot of them aren’t for some reason, they went the first step of connecting to wifi and stopped there. Getting notification when ready or setting specific time and program via google voice instead of fiddling with controls is genuinely useful stuff that I would love to have

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

RCC has been available since the 80s. Much of the wold has been covered by radio time broadcasts that would be used by devices to set their own time but somehow it didn’t start to become really commonplace until wifi allowed for 2-way communications 🤔

• Hotzilla@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

If you have wifi you need to store it’s credentials somewhere, and you run into same issue.

Actually automatic way would be to just take GPS signals clock time.