What have you all been playing!

I have been playing a ton of Aeterna Noctis in an attempt to start clearing up my backlog. It’s really good so far! Tough platforming but I enjoy that a lot.

• Poopfeast420@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Still playing Octopath Traveler, it’s alright, although with some really rough spots. I should hopefully be done soon though.

It has some neat mechanics, like hitting enemies with their weakness to eventually stun them and cause them to take more damage, but it also leads to a lot of fights (mostly against trash mobs) that take far too long, because you might not be able to exploit that weakness well or at all (unless you like constantly changing your party for the current area).

Also, as the name of the game suggests, there are eight playable characters, with a party size of four. You might think you could easily have an A and B squad, but for some reason, one character is fixed and can’t be changed. This leads to this one character being massively higher level than the other party members at times, and because there’s no exp for inactive party members, makes keeping everyone else roughly the same level a real pain. I just had a main party and would occasionally swap in one of the lower level guys to do their story.

Speaking of story, it’s pretty boring. Every character has four chapters (dunno if there’s more for the whole group afterward) and almost all of them play out the same. Start a story with some exposition, gather intel by speaking with a few NPCs, a bit more exposition, go to a short dungeon, fight a boss, exposition, done. By the way, your whole party never shows up in the “cutscenes,” it’s always just the single character, whose story you’re doing.

• shnizmuffin@lemmy.inbutts.lol
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Have you gotten far enough to the point where you can…

spoiler

Dual class your characters?

I found that mechanic to be extremely interesting, reminding me of late game Golden Sun.

• Poopfeast420
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

My answer maybe never got federated outside the instance, so here it is again from another account.

If you mean the secondary jobs, yes, I got all the normal ones. I found one “advanced” job, but wasn’t able to defeat the boss yet.

It’s a neat way to expand your kit and be able to do more stuff, but I don’t know why only one character can have a specific secondary job at a time. It also adds a bit more busy work to your party management, which is already not great.