link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

“Oh yeah, I get it now, thanks!”

(I totally still have no clue, but if it hasn’t happened in 3 tries, it’s just not going to happen.)

• Valmond@lemmy.mindoki.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Oh yeah I start to get it, thank you so much!

Is a way to politely say you don’t really get it/needs more explanations, but for now it’s not the time.

• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

“If you can’t explain it to a six year old, then you don’t understand it yourself”

-Albert Einstein

If you were smart enough to generate this meme, I’d wager whatever It is was was probably explained poorly 3 times.

• bstix@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I once had a teacher who told us to “Explain the curriculum to your grandmother. That’s when YOU get it.”

IMO ELI70 is somewhat better than ELI5 because it allows people to explain it without childish simplifications, but with the same challenge in comprehension.

• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I don’t know. I’d take explaining a complex concept to a 6 year old over a 70 year old any day. A 70 year old will probably rely on faded memories that have over time become wholly corrupted from disuse, yet still leaned upon, adding an extra layer of having to correct what they “know.” They may give you a head start on a few sub-concepts/aspects of the concept, but in my experience working with A LOT of seniors in a former Master’s level helping profession, you’re far more likely to make faster progress with a 6 year old, and far more often then not for an elderly person, you’ll hit an insurmountable road block of understanding if it’s a concept they were never familiar with.

With effort, patience and available time, you could teach an 6 year old of average intelligence significant aspects of calculus reliably. I would wager the average 70 year old whose career was never math centric, with only faded memories of minimally complex algebra, would take multiple times as long to do the same, if at all. The elasticity for new complex anything is extremely limited, outliers who have maintained some flexibility through uncommon determination and regular, vigorous mental exercise notwithstanding.

• bstix@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Yeah I mean, it obviously depends on your age and world wide location. Contemporary 70 y/o in Europe have a decent understanding of math and logic. It’s a narrow cut off though. My grand parents on my father’s side never touched a computer while my grandparents on my mother’s side were shitposting on Facebook on their cellphones.

They were the example of the difference between understanding running a Fergus’s tractor and Wndows 95, despite having less than a decade in age difference

• OttoVonNoob@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

My relationship with coding:(… took me 4 hours but I see now I inserted a tab at the wrong place… 8 hours later I see what I did … I inserted a tab in the wrong place…:(

• FooBarrington@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

An NFT is an entry in a blockchain, belonging to some account. If the account is hacked, ownership can be transferred without the owners consent.