• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

As a bonus, when they’re explaining it the fourth time it suddenly makes sense a quarter of the way through and you find yourself lacking the patience to listen to the additional explanation which you requested.

• Wogi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Me in every thread that gets bombarded with IT guys talking about extremely specific technical problems on any article that dares mention a technology developed after the cotton gin.

“A man was crushed to death by a vending machine while trying to get it to accept a credit card…”

The thread: ok but those old BGT models had real CNTA problems and the network was trash. He’s lucky he wasn’t killed when the Arduino suddenly exploded like on the ASPA models

And I’m like the only guy wondering what language that was

• Nougat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s an example of the speaker not being aware of their audience, or assuming that anyone listening/reading is “like them.” There’s definitely a time and place for “in-group jargon” (which is found in all sorts of in-groups, not just techie ones), but usually your audience is going to be more general. My personal rule is that if I have to use jargon that a general audience would likely not understand, I will give a plain language explanation.

• tim-clark@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

If only Linux folks would read this. Have to be in the group to understand anything they are talking about.

Written by someone that barely uses Linux and can’t stand the toxic folks when asking a question.

• Nougat@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Right with you on that. Linux documentation is almost universally written for an audience who is already in that in-group of experts. Want to get started with no experience? Good luck.

• fossphi@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

But maybe in a general internet forum, it’s okay? I quite like running into these random rabbit holes. And the nice thing about threaded forums is that it’s very easy to move past non pertinent stuff

• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Lol this is me earlier today reading about a new vulnerability. Idk if it was me or them or both but all I saw were a lot of words that didn’t form into anything in my mind.

• rosymind@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

My favorite is when I ask a question and then am too busy thinking to pay attention to the answer, so I either have to ask again, or just guess

• PhillyCodeHound@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I can totally relate to this. My wife gets so frustrated with me when it happens. LOL. I just shrug and say sorry, can you repeat that again! 😒