Tesla drivers had the worst accident rate in the US, with 24 accidents per 1,000 drivers.

BMW drivers had the highest rate of driving under the influence, with 3 DUIs per 1,000 drivers.

Ram drivers had the highest overall incident rate, including accidents, DUIs, speeding, and other citations.

Based on the new study by Lendingtree.

• Earthwormjim91@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

BMW drivers had the highest rate of driving under the influence

Whaaaat I would have guessed Ram

Ram drivers had the highest overall incident rate

Ah there it is.

• fmstrat@lemmy.nowsci.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

BMW vs RAM for DUI, my guess: location location location.

Demographics would likely (guess) lean towards the same type of driver in different locales. One where drinking and driving “is just a thing people do” and one where its more enforced.

• pwalshj@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Americans can’t drive. It’s far too easy to get a drivers license in the USA. Auto lobby, blahblahblah.

• Neato@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

It’s easy because it’s required. Most Americans live literal miles from grocery, Rx, or any services. Neighborhoods are mostly suburbia which has NOTHING besides houses. If you restrict driving you are condemning people to vastly inflated costs of living. It sucks and I blame the auto industries.

And actually, Americans are fairly good drivers. Because we drive a LOT. Some literally hours a day. And because we drive so much we have tens of thousands of highway fatalities a year.

• tiramichu@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Sure, doing something a lot makes you good at it. That’s why racing drivers are fast on a course - practice.

But what a lot of people are doing when “driving” is not really driving - it’s the act of trying to get from point A to point B while not caring how that movement actually happens. They’re texting or talking to passengers or thinking about work, or what they need to buy for dinner, trying to get on with the rest of their life despite currently being at the helm of a machine capable of killing themselves and others.

Some people are out there not practicing driving, but practicing multitasking while thinking about the driving part as little as possible.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Then maybe cops should be on the lookout for such things rather than sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun while they look down at their own phones.

• j4k3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

No effective alternative so we all play Metallica’s Kill 'em All and roll the dice daily

- disabled guy from a car hit while riding a bicycle to work

Neither here nor there, but I was disabled by an Egyptian… in California

• Lev_Astov@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

A source the editors not distances itself from and that uses a limited data set is certainly a reliable one.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I would’t say that, but considering there are cheaper and better models on the market out there now, they sure aren’t being smart about their purchases.