First off, the icon contest is now closed! Thanks to everyone that submitted. Seriously, thank you. These are really awesome and it’s so cool to have icons created by the community. Next step: I’ll nominate 3 icons by end of week (hopefully sooner) and create a thread for the community to choose the winner :) More info to follow. https://lemmy.world/post/1287799

Next off, version 0.24.0!

Another release with some anticipated features!

Mark posts read on scroll

(disabled by default) you can now setup posts to be marked read when you scroll past them! This is a cool feature but will become even more useful when “hide read posts” is finished later this week.

Android mode (beta)

There’s now a setting to enable Android mode! Please keep in mind that it’s a beta isn’t finished! This is mainly getting the setting enabled so we can improve the styles and iterate. :) Let me know what you think! Do you prefer the iOS theme on Android? Do you prefer the Android theme on iOS? 😈

Show user instances

Did you even find it annoying that you had to tap into a user to determine the instance they’re on? Well now there’s a setting to show the instance URL of all users that aren’t on your instance! Super handy, thanks @rsammelson!

What’s Changed

Full Changelog: https://github.com/aeharding/voyager/compare/0.23.1...0.24.0

• dingus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Loving these updates! Do you guys rest?? Lol.

I really enjoy having a user’s instance visible. Do you think this could be added with communities too? When browsing all or even my subscribed communities, I can’t tell what instance they are on without some extra fiddling.

• Opacity9850@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I use android + have iPad (former Apollo user). I like ios mode more than android so I’ll stick with it. Feels much more premium :D. Thankyou for all your hard work

• DrQuint@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Small request, when we come around to voting for the nominees, can we get to see the three of them not just as is, but also a mock of how they’d look if they were included in an iPhone and Samsung home screen? Those are the two most common types of phones, so I think it’s super important to see them “in action” before making any communal decision, and I don’t think doing more mocks than those is an entirely good idea since this might not be the field of expertise of the dev.

• aeharding@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yes at least iOS. Android requires masked variants which I didn’t require people to submit (until selected)

• darkstar@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Oh my gosh thank you so so much! Mark read on scroll is SUCH an underrated feature.

Thank you for all your work on Voyager😰 it’s a really great app

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The rate at which these features are rolling out is impressive. I made a request for a swipe to hide gesture and a few days later noticed it was already a thing. Huge kudos to the developers here! You’re doing incredible work.

• MoTheAmazing@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m probably in the minority here but I like the iOS mode better (I’m on Android).

Anyways thank you for all the hard work!

• shashi154263@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Have you clicked on “Tap to apply changes and reload the app”?

I’m seeing difference in almost every thing. Top bar, Communities list, Inbox page, Settings page, Options on posts/comments etc.

• ThisIsNecessary@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes I did that! But to be honest I read someone else’s post a week or so ago and they said that Voyager felt too “iOS” and they wanted it to feel more like Android and at that time I was confused, I had no idea what they were referring to. Like the app doesn’t feel like it belongs in any one type of OS to me. Maybe I’m just not as sensitive to these differences?

• Taeye0n@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Android mode is MUCH better (well, if you are actually using an Android phone). Thanks for it!

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Much prefer the Android look (I’m on Android). If you’d asked me before making the change I wouldn’t have said I cared but I now realise that before it had a slight feeling of “clunkiness” because it didn’t quite fit with the platform. It does now!

When it’s out of beta are you going to select Android mode by default for Android clients?

• amenotef@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

To me both are nice. But Android of course is more aligned to the other android apps. So once Android theme goes out of beta I’ll switch permanently.

• yesterdayshero@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’ve been on Android for years now. But I’m confused, what makes the Apple version more clunky? I prefer it. I’m actually not really sure why there’s a need for two versions. What is it exactly that makes it an Android version?

• lotanis
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s not actually clunky in behaviour - it works the same. It just has an inconsistent look and feel with the rest of the platform that made it feel a bit less nice.

• greendakota99@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Do Android users really not have native swipe right to go back functionality? Or is that just missing currently from the Android (Beta) theme?

• Mr_Buscemi@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Aw damn you just made me realize the swipe wasn’t working on Android theme lol.

That’ll bug me after over a week using this app and getting used to it.

• lotanis
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m on Android and I didn’t realise there was a swipe to go back gesture. I’ve just been using the normal Android “swipe from the right” gesture that does Back.

• Lasso1971@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

When you disable buttons in lieu of gestures which were introduced a few years ago, you have swipe from either side for back

• itadakimasu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ah damn! Annoying it’s gone now. @aeharding , possible to include swipe to go back to the Android theme?

Loving the theme otherwise!

Thanks for all the hard work !

• spaceduck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It does, I’m using a samsung phone with One Hand Operation installed and you can turn off the gestures for some areas which makes the builtin gestures for Voyager work.

• TheFrirish@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Adding the user instance is great I’m always curious where everyone is from in the comments.

• Bebo@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Wanted to say I really love that android look is available in the options now. I love it! It’s in beta so looking forward to how it changes over time. Personally, the ios look was a tiny thing I didn’t like about this app so I am happy I have the option to switch to android look.

• Deez@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The scroll to hide is amazing! It’s just so natural and freeing. I love it, well done!

• snowyday@lemmy.world
    cake
    B
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Congrats on the new release. Each version gets better, and at this point I’m using it multiple times per day

When it comes to the Hide feature, here is my request:

Please allow us to change the swipe from Hide to Hide All Above, which would allow for mass Hiding

I know many want to “mark read and hide” as they scroll. I would prefer to have a little more control.

This and the equivalent of multi reddits are the only things I’m missing from Apollo and the old site

• Encode1307@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’d just switched to Connect because I prefer the Android design language, and you do this!

Thanks for all your work on this, it’s really incredible!