“The Terrapin attack is a novel cryptographic attack targeting the integrity of the SSH protocol, the first-ever practical attack of its kind, and one of the very few attacks against SSH at all. The attack exploits weaknesses in the specification of SSH paired with widespread algorithms, namely ChaCha20-Poly1305 and CBC-EtM, to remove an arbitrary number of protected messages at the beginning of the secure channel, thus breaking integrity. In practice, the attack can be used to impede the negotiation of certain security-relevant protocol extensions. Moreover, Terrapin enables more advanced exploitation techniques when combined with particular implementation flaws, leading to a total loss of confidentiality and integrity in the worst case.”

“Although we suggest backward-compatible countermeasures to stop our attacks, we note that the security of the SSH protocol would benefit from a redesign from scratch, guided by all findings and insights from both practical and theoretical security analysis, in a similar manner as was done for TLS 1.3.”

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Once in place, this piece of dedicated hardware surreptitiously inhaled thousands of user names and passwords before it was finally discovered.

Ylönen, who at the time knew little about implementing strong cryptography in code, set out to develop the Secure Shell Protocol (SSH) in early 1995, about three months after the discovery of the password sniffer.

As one of the first network tools to route traffic through an impregnable tunnel fortified with a still-esoteric feature known as “public key encryption,” SSH quickly caught on around the world.

Today, it’s hard to overstate the importance of the protocol, which underpins the security of apps used inside millions of organizations, including cloud environments crucial to Google, Amazon, Facebook, and other large companies.

Now, nearly 30 years later, researchers have devised an attack with the potential to undermine, if not cripple, cryptographic SSH protections that the networking world takes for granted.

The attack targets the BPP, short for Binary Packet Protocol, which is designed to ensure that adversaries with an active position can’t add or drop messages exchanged during the handshake.

The original article contains 658 words, the summary contains 178 words. Saved 73%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• 1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Omg, they said “man in the middle” attack.

Let’s rename it to “they in the middle” attack for fun.

• Evkob@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I know nothing I say would stop you from being a fuckwit asshole, so I won’t even try, but if you’re going to be like this please at least know the difference between a noun and a pronoun.

Your “joke” (which is really not a joke and just bigotry, really, but you seem like a lost cause so I won’t bother going on about it) doesn’t make sense because in no context would anyone say “they in the middle”. They/them are pronouns, typically for people who identify as non-binary. You’d say “non-binary person in the middle” or “enby in the middle”. Saying “they in the middle” is equivalent to “he in the middle”, not “man in the middle”.

This is, of course, disregarding the fact that no one actually gives a fuck if you use the phrase “man in the middle”. I swear I see more dumbass “jokes” like this than actual attempts to use inclusive language. At this point, the transphobia is almost a secondary nuisance compared to the complete lack of any comedic skills.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Eh, I briefly checked through their comment history (I almost never do that), and I didn’t see any kind of trend here. I think they’re just having a weird day and thought it would be funny. It’s not, it’s just annoying, but they don’t seem like a toxic person in general.

That said, you giving a grammar lesson gave me a chuckle.

• Evkob@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Women dressing like that for cooking wants viewers badly. :)

@1984@lemmy.today on a picture of a woman cooking, with cleavage showing.

You want to be treated like a man (if you are a girl)?

I don’t understand why people are surprised there are gender differences. It’s supposed to be. And we are supposed to react to eachother, be different to eachother. It’s natural biologically and physically and this is completely obvious.

You think women don’t explain to men how something works a million times a day? I hear it so often I can’t even count. It’s perfectly natural.

@1984@lemmy.today on mansplaining.

Are they a full-out christofascist out to kill all queers? I highly doubt it. Are they stuck in a rigid, binary, essentialist definition of gender, to the detriment of themselves and any woman or queer person who crosses their path? Yeah, definitely. However, to be fair that’s like 80% of cishet guys (which I think we can safely assume is how they identify) so I may have been quick on the harshness in my original comment. Still deserves to be called out, though.

I also just noticed they edited their comment since my reply, it did not say “let’s rename it for fun”, it used to be something along the lines of “rename it before getting cancelled”.

• Wonkit@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

You’d say “non-binary person in the middle”

This is especially true if we ever have a future where robots and androids live among humans in society, where they would commit binary person in the middle attacks instead

• code@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

no one actually gives a fuck

Considering the fuss people make about gender neutral terms, as well as the whole master/slave, blacklist/whitelist thing, I’d say it’s not totally improbable.

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Interloper attack

Substitution attack

Impersonation attack