• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

TLDR: Debian will stop producing 32-bit iso installer images. You can still use 32-bit applications. This will stop you from installing the newest version of Debian on a 32-bit processor. That’s all.

• Static_Rocket@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Lol, the nomenclature has always been a bit scuffed. Do you refer to desktop 64bit as x86_64 or amd64? (There’s history behind those…)

• Patch@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Yeah, I mean if you want to get picky, the actual i386 processor family hasn’t been supported by the Linux kernel since 2012, and was dropped by Debian in 2007.

Most people were generally not particularly affected by that, seeing as the last i386 chip was released in (I think) 1989!

Debian’s choice to refer to the whole x86-32 line as i386 has always been a weird historical quirk.

• Catsrules@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Can someone explain like I am 5?

Is just just talking about 32bit processor support? Or are we also talking about 32 bit programs as well?

• Aggravationstation@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I’ve always kept a 32 bit Debian ISO on my Ventoy drive just in case.

Would be a shame if they stopped supporting it but I’d put dyne:bolic on my drive which was the first distro I ever used.

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Will that mean a bunch of my steam games won’t work? Please don’t say that, as I love debian, and I love my games.