• spacecadet [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It absolutely has meaning. It’s like rainbow capitalism. It is ridiculed here on this site all the time and is a prime example of how liberalism prioritizes the PR campaigniness of proving they are doing good vs actually doing anything good at all. We are in the deep end of it and it’s fucking wild.

• SkingradGuard [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Idk I’ve only ever seen reactionaries whinge about it, to me it’s practically meaningless because it’s not really an effective critique of capitalism, or liberalism in general. It’s the same class of words like “woke,” “SJW,” “PC” etc.

You already mentioned “rainbow capitalism” and that’s already a better word for it because it at least describes it a bit better. That’s just me though shrug-outta-hecks

• mar_k [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Identity politics is a vague term for any political discourse/movements centering race, gender, sexuality, etc. BLM is idpol. Palestinian nationalism is idpol. Feminism is idpol. Trans rights movements are idpol. Engaging in idpol doesn’t mean you can’t recognize class and intersectionality.

• sooper_dooper_roofer [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

“identity politics” is just a white weasel word like “regime” or “expat”

when a mayo does the same thing a person from a 3rd world country does it’s called “expat”
      when a “bad country” has a government it’s called a regime
      when POC do even a fraction of what whites have been doing for the last 200+ years it’s called “identity politics”.

because you know rioting against desegregation and bussing and etc totally isn’t identity politics

white people are obsessed with finding new words and phrases for the same old thing, because that obfuscates the centrality and longevity of the political struggle, and lets you frame it as “hey look at these wacky new identity politics that only started in 2010”

• SkingradGuard [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I put in another comment that I found that the phrase itself dates back to the 70s from antiracist feminist groups using it to describe their politics and the struggles they face in the USA.

Like the word “woke”, the fascists have co-opted it’s use to be derogatory and to mean anything that that they disagree with (usually that is either anti-racist or feminist in nature).