A multi-community would be all communities with a certain name, across all instances. It would prevent powermods from being a problem on Lemmy. i think it should be notated with m/<insert name here>, just like communities but with m instead of c.

• Hotzilla@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Counter question, what is the use case here?

I have only ever needed this feature with NSFW content. In Lemmy I have easily and better way resolved it by having another account with nsfw instance. This creates even better outcome than the multi community feature. All clients easily support two accounts, and you can switch between them in few presses.

• ebits21@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Use case? Just wanting to group together certain topics. Grouping together all the duplicate communities that have the same focus as well.

Use case is obvious.

Making a ton of accounts for each topic is not a good solution.

• Illiterate Domine@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

You don’t have to make a ton of accounts. An account on one instance can subscribe to and participate in communities on any other instances (provided it hasn’t been defederated by the instance admin).

• a_statistician@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I like to keep my work-related communities separate from my hobby-related communities. So Python/R/Data/Academia communities would be grouped under “work”, and Gardening/Bread/Crochet/3D printing would be “hobbies”, and then I might want a news group where I can see politics, local news, US news, world news, tech news, etc.

This would be really helpful to me for reducing distractions when I’m actually trying to get information about what’s going on in the (real) world or in my specific corner of the programming world.