Similar to the recent question about artists where you can successfully separate them from their art. Are there any artists who did something so horrible, so despicable, that it has instantly invalidated all art that they have had any part in?

• DaDragon@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I disagree. You can both admit that the company makes one damn fine chicken sandwich and still not buy it because they support slave labour. Them supporting slave labour doesn’t make it a bad chicken sandwich, just as them making a damn good chicken sandwich doesn’t stop them from supporting slave labour. It’s the method that’s important, not the reason itself.

• TheBananaKing@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

First up, fandom is free advertising; fuck them I’m not promoting their product for them, even if I don’t buy it.

But more than that, it’s sending a message that the behaviour is something we’re willing to condone, that we stand with the abuser rather than their victims.

Imagine telling a sexual assault survivor to just lie back and enjoy the masterful comic stylings of Bill Cosby, or at least to shut up and let you enjoy it, because they’re ruining the funny.

Would that person have reason to consider you a friend or ally after that?

The Harry Potter IP, for instance, is just a giant anti-trans flag now, and the people who wave it around are picking a side. They can’t pretend they’re not; pinning the logo to their chest is explicitly endorsing the author’s views, and spitting in the face of every trans person in their life.

• RedAggroBest@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I think you missed their point. They explicitly said that you can at something is a good product and just not buy it because fuck that company. Same point with artists, they can be talented shitbags, we avoid them for the shitbag part, no other reason.

• TheBananaKing@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Every work has the author’s stank all over it, it can’t not. It’s seen through their eyes and spoken through their lips (or fingers I guess).

Once you know what it is, it will - and should - colour your perception. If it turns out to be something toxic, then you’re allowed to be viscerally repelled by it. It’s okay. It’s not intellectual dishonesty to have an emotional-based opinion on art ffs.

Now if you let your opinions on engineering get affected by emotion, that’d be another matter. When deciding whether a bridge is safe to carry traffic, you absolutely should not let your personal feelings about the architect factor into the decision.

But this is art we’re talking about. Entertainment. Works designed specifically for emotional impact, with no value outside of that. How you feel about them is the only valid criterion.

If a work squicks you out because the author is a piece of shit, that’s a genuine, valid and authentic opinion - it’s pretending otherwise that would be dishonest.

And in my experience, the ones shouting the loudest about the intellectual integrity angle tend to be fanbois with a huge emotional attachment to the work from their adolescence. Buncha simps, in other words.

Which fine, feelings are valid - but they should damn well own it. If nostalgia > victims, then have the balls to just say it, don’t try to well-ackchewally it into some lofty principle, because it isn’t.

• squiblet@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s the point though, that some people will use the ‘but chicken sandwich is good’ as a justification to overlook the other problems and still buy them. My ex and Hobby Lobby, for instance - she’d want to go there and shop for paints because they ‘might have a sale’, and I was just uh, no? Fuck Hobby Lobby.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Continue buying products direclty supports the company, that doesn’t necessarily apply to art. Me simple enjoying a piece of art doesn’t support the creator. Only when I buy or licence it.

• NounsAndWords@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

The popularity of art can both increase it’s value and promote the creator, making their other works more valuable.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Potentially, sure. But that also doesn’t apply if you’re enjoying it in private.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Privately inside your own head or from a book you already owned that you then proceed to never discuss, sure. But views, downloads (even pirated), word of mouth, all help promote the work.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

What about when the artistis is dead and can no longer profit of his work by any means? Does that make the art “ok” again?

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

I think for a great many artists being remembered after their death is a significant part of making art. So if the artist like tried real real hard to remain in obscurity but was nevertheless discovered (a reverse-Van-Gogh if you will) then maybe.

Unrelated by I also think the artist, what they experienced, how and why they made it, are all implicitly part of the work.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

We work really hard to deprive ourselves of our own culture. From 90 year copyrights, to allowing all this geolocking multiple streaming services, to digital text, and to self-censorship.

Is anyone going to claim that they are a better person because they never read Harry Potter? No, I don’t support her bigotry I just don’t know what we gain out of having less culture.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    6 months ago

I totally agree. Ignoring the positive contributions from bad people just makes for an overall worse world.

My best practice is basically to try to ignore as much “celebrity news” as possible. Last I heard was that was “too woke” for making dumbledore gay, even there was nothing about it in the books. No idea what she did now to be a biggot … and I don’t really care.

They were great books and decent movies and her actions outside the fictional world won’t change that.

• squiblet@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Sure, but overlooking moral misgivings is the similarity. Just like I wouldn’t tell someone ‘hey, I love this sale at Hobby Lobby!’ I wouldn’t feel right about endorsing a star or director or artist or musician who was found to be a terrible person. The same applies to enjoying it in private - my knowledge about the creator would somewhat ruin my enjoyment of their work.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

I wouldn’t feel right about endorsing a star or director or artist or musician who was found to be a terrible person.

I don’t think enjoying or even endorising a piece of art is equivalent to endorsing the people that produced it.

For example I will always enjoy Firefly and will keep recommending it to people, simple because it’s an amazing show. What ever Joss Whedon has done doesn’t change that. Hell, I wouldn’t care if it was directed by Hitler and produced by Jeffery Dahmer.

• squiblet@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

That seems to be the topic here… some people do feel uncomfortable about works having a connection to a terrible person, others don’t. Personally I do think about the creator of artistic works when consuming them or as a fan, and I don’t really want to be thinking “huh, I wonder what Hitler and Dahmer were thinking when they made that decision”. On the other hand, some people love thinking about awful people like serial killers.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I am a fat guy, there sandwich is only marginally better than the lowest end stuff, any fast casual local place is going to do it better. You can trust a fat man about fried meat.