Does anyone here have a phone/device just for mapping? A lot of the mapping I’m doing now is updating details of already mapped items.

I was thinking of getting a cheap secondhand android phone to use just for mapping. I’d also love to use StreetComplete again!

• juli@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

You wrote that you want to get a cheap android. Why not getting a more expensive one and replace the iphone?

• governorkeagan@lemdro.idOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I don’t have a need to replace the iPhone outright yet, I’ve only had it for just under a year.

If anything happened to a cheap phone while I’m out, I won’t be overly concerned

• redd
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

You can think about getting an 2nd hand Android Phone. If go for one which has broken sound/microfon/camera you may can get a pretty solid device for cheap money.

Recommondation for sure is Google Pixel Phone which have long term updates and you can play arround with alternative Android versions like GrapheneOS.

• juli@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

You can do whatever you like.

Following are thoughts about it.

When I go to a POI and have a spare second, I check if it’s up to date. You have to have your second phone with you at all times in order to do that.

When walking around and mapping the world, you have your phone in your hands. Usually it doesn’t just fall down. In case, there are covers for the glass and the case which protect the phone.

For the price of the iphone you get an equally powerful android and a good side phone. It doesn’t need to be powerful for mapping but it helps if it has good specs to show data in osmand. SC doesn’t need too much ressources