Does anyone here have a phone/device just for mapping? A lot of the mapping I’m doing now is updating details of already mapped items.

I was thinking of getting a cheap secondhand android phone to use just for mapping. I’d also love to use StreetComplete again!

• governorkeagan@lemdro.idOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I’ve seen a few people online talking about having a dedicated GPS device for mapping, since I don’t need a dedicated GPS device for the type of mapping I’m doing, I thought of possibly getting another phone. That’s why I came here, I wanted to get another opinion on it and see if it would actually be beneficial.

• redd
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I rather recommend a powerbank then

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I rather recommend a powerbank then

And be tethered to a cable all the time? In my case, the GPX recording phone is in my backpack (where there’s also a powerbank) and the main phone is for listening to music and taking photos without the annoying cable in the way all the time.

• bbbhltz@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I do not, but I’ve seen people do this. Why can’t you use Street complete?

• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I usually map from a tablet (which I also use for other purposes), not phone. I find Vespucci pretty much unusable on a phone screen.

• strubbl@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I have got a second one mainly for mapping, because i want to use a stylus during cold winter (with gloves) and hot summer with sweaty fingers. I hate touch inputs and with the stylus it works easier. This phone also has an SD card slot for all the different map apps, their map data and the OsmTracker photos.

• KrokanteBamischijf@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Definitely nothing wrong with that. People have spent way more outrageous amounts of money on other hobbies so just go for it.

If the expense is worth it to you, there is no reason not to. And you’ll likely find other uses for the secondary phone too.

If you ever want to do more serious surveying, look into what people are doing with RTK antennas and their smartphones. There are definitely some interesting options for very serious centimeter-accurate surveying that can be done with just a smartphone and an external RTK antenna.

• exec4
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE which has a lange screen and battery (it works fine for me, only charging to 85%). I have a bulkier spigen case on it, and have dropped it several times yet, no damage.

I have been thinking about buying an S23 Ultra or a Galaxy fold, but I would just risk to destroy more money.

If I would buy an additional device it would be a used 10" tablet for mapping.

Also an interesting approach would be a #NexDock which I never tried, but might even work like a tablet but as screen and input device for my existing phone, which would make switching during mapping more easy.

At the moment I only do #StreetComplete on the go, and maybe #mapcomplete while sitting in a restaurant for example.

• juli@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

You wrote that you want to get a cheap android. Why not getting a more expensive one and replace the iphone?

• governorkeagan@lemdro.idOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I don’t have a need to replace the iPhone outright yet, I’ve only had it for just under a year.

If anything happened to a cheap phone while I’m out, I won’t be overly concerned

• redd
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

You can think about getting an 2nd hand Android Phone. If go for one which has broken sound/microfon/camera you may can get a pretty solid device for cheap money.

Recommondation for sure is Google Pixel Phone which have long term updates and you can play arround with alternative Android versions like GrapheneOS.

• juli@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

You can do whatever you like.

Following are thoughts about it.

When I go to a POI and have a spare second, I check if it’s up to date. You have to have your second phone with you at all times in order to do that.

When walking around and mapping the world, you have your phone in your hands. Usually it doesn’t just fall down. In case, there are covers for the glass and the case which protect the phone.

For the price of the iphone you get an equally powerful android and a good side phone. It doesn’t need to be powerful for mapping but it helps if it has good specs to show data in osmand. SC doesn’t need too much ressources