Jesus rubs the bridge of his nose

“Why on Dad’s green earth would somebody order wine?!?”

• Teon@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

If you just lock jesus in the janitors closet, he will ‘rise up’ in 3 days. No worriez!

• TigrisMorte@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

more like 8-10. Christ was born between 4-6 BC according to the Biblical Scholar’s generally accepted date.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Didn’t exist at all according to reality, though.

Even if he did, I’m not sure 10yos are such great partiers either 😄

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

Most of whom are religious people deferring to other religious historians who based their conclusions on a few vague accounts from romans and Jewish scholars that weren’t even born at the time.

Key sentence of any honest article about “historical Jesus”:

Documentary evidence outside of the New Testament is limited.

And as any rational person knows, the New Testament is part of a work of fiction based on old folk tales.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Oh, please do double down on those unsupported claims. I’m sure you’ll be rewarded for the “erudite scholarship” any second now.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

please do double down on those unsupported claims

Talking to yourself?

I’m not making any claims. I’m rejecting claims of announcing absolute truth based on little to no useful evidence.

• flathead@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

According to this scholar: https://nzpod.co.nz/podcast/the-ancients/jesus-of-nazareth

It is unlikely that his body was ever placed into a tomb. Part of the point of crucifixion was the public nature of the body being on display and those crucified were not given honorable burials by design.

The academic consensus seems to be that an influential Jewish man referred to as “Cristos” or “Crestos” did exist but that the resurrection and other mystical stuff was of course all embellishment.

‘Crestos’ was a apparently a common name for slaves in Judea. I wondered if perhaps the name Christ referred to a man who rose from the slavery caste to threaten the political establishment with revolution. Most of the new testament teachings are obviously political. ‘Life of Brian’ is probably closer to the truth than you’d think.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Fell free to prove you claim at any point. As you can’t, perhaps consider accepting that your beliefs, no matter how vital to your life, are not superior to anyone else’s. But then you’ll just demand you don’t have to prove your factless claim and that I must prove Jesus did exist. Something I didn’t claim but in fact informed whose claim it was. And yet your faith in your personal belief is so fragile, you had to jump in and refute a statement no one made.

• Rakonat@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Romans kept pretty good records of what they did in Palestine. There isn’t much doubt that a guy named Jesus in Palestine claiming to be the son of the Hebrew god was crucified at the time.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Romans kept pretty good records of what they did in Palestine

They were also known to twist history to suit their narratives and as the primary Christian power, pretending that their fictional guy was real very much suited their narrative.

To put it another way: since the Romans had a vested interest in the world believing he existed and there’s no contemporary records, the burden of proof has not been reached.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Look at all the unsupported claims! But yes, sure, it is other People that must disprove your belief. Sure, yeah, so wrapped up in your faith that you demand others must share it. Just like the Evangelicals you hurl insults at. Simply two sides of the same faith based belief system.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

it is other People that must disprove your belief

Other way around. It’s your belief that Jesus actually existed. I’m saying that the available evidence doesn’t adequately support your claim.

so wrapped up in your faith that you demand others must share it

My faith? Are you sure you’re replying to the right person? Because I’m not religious at all.

Simply two sides of the same faith based belief system.

Atheism is a faith based belief in the same way as “no car” is a type of car 🙄

• abbadon420@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

It is generally accepted that the historical person of Jesus did exist. There are other (non biblical) sources fromt that era that mention a man named Jesus of Nazareth from the Palestine area in the first century. Which is only logical, since he made quite a political and religious ruckus. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

• Rakonat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Well if Bible is to be considered a source here, John 2:1-11 or specifically John 2:10

Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

So everyone could have been drunk already and just noticed it didn’t taste like elderberries. But the verse certainly suggest what he made was better than everything else the wedding served.

• Urethra Franklin@startrek.websiteOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I’d be more impressed if He could accurately recreate Mogen David 20/20 or Boone’s Farm. In my experience, those were demonic, leading to a religious experience as I begged God for mercy between wretches.

• Splenetic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

John 2:9-10:

When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,

And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.