• Reygle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Perhaps I’m missing something but I’ve been a Firefox user for years- at work and home. I have yet to find a website that misbehaves or under-performs. Mayyybe a few sites here and there a fractions of a second slower or have slightly less acceleration or something that I’m just not noticing?

Without Firefox and its ??forks?? like LibreWolf, the internet would be a total Chromium monopoly at this point, wouldn’t it? That would be bad…

• Xero@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been daily driving Firefox since 3 years ago, the only time it doesn’t load a site properly is when I lost internet connection mid-loading. Some people keep saying some sites don’t work with FF and yet none of them was able to give a single example.

• CADmonkey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The Oklahoma Natural Gas website sometimes won’t let me pay my bill if I’m using Firefox.

• banazir@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I actually had to install ungoogled-chromium to change my email on PayPal. No other browser would work, it was weird. That’s the only instance I can remember where I’ve had to try Chrome. Otherwise I FireFox has worked fine. Wonder what happened there.

• TheTimeKnife@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Some websites do poorly on it. However it’s rare and easy enough to just open it in a different browser. I’ve used Firefox for over 15 years and it’s not a serious issue. Usually bad government websites or shitty corporate webapps.

• corb3t@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve had some “Apply to Job” buttons on job sites not display in Firefox but show up fine in Chrome/Safari.

• ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m a die-hard Firefox user (in part because I’m a web developer and prefer the dev tools). But I have seen a couple of sites that only work with Chromium-based browsers. Both are owned by Microsoft, though, so I assume they’re breaking things on purpose to push Edge or something. There’s no significant features Firefox is missing. (Safari is the problem child for web developers now. They tend to be last to support new CSS/JS features.)

• Kwalla@lemmy.todayyoutomorrow.me
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same here, only I use a few different browsers between work and home. I’ve never once had to skip over to a different browser because Firefox couldn’t do it. Only thing that ever stops a website from working for me is uBlock Origin, and that just means it’s usually doing its job.

• candyman337@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Maybe it’s because I use sidebery but Firefox is very Laggy for me in comparison to chrome, I use it Firefox because I don’t like google’s practices, and I like my sidebar, but I do miss the speed of chrome when you have several tabs open

However, my problems may also be due to windows, I’ve been having issues with my pc and I Def need an OS wipe

• corb3t@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve used Firefox as my main browser for a year or two now, and it definitely wastes the most battery life and uses the most RAM on my laptop. I’ve had some websites (job sites) not display “Apply to Job” buttons properly. My Yubikey wasn’t supported on many websites with Firefox (only Chrome/Safari) until recently. Chrome feels stagnate, though - I love Firefox’s auto-pause, PiP, bookmarks tagging and keyword searches.

• R0cket_M00se@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Pretty sure Safari runs on Gecko as well, but still, “Chromium monopoly” is such a ridiculous idea.

It’s like saying cars have a “V shaped engine monopoly” or clothes have a “YKK zipper monopoly.” Does it exist? Yeah. Does it affect the actual lineup of available products and their differences? Not really.

• ziggurism@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Gecko? Do you mean Blink?

Gecko is the name of Firefox’s renderer. Blink is the name of chrome’s. WebKit is the name of Safari’s.

It would not be correct to say that Safari uses Chrome’s renderer, but since Chrome started as a fork of WebKit, they should have some similarities.

But there is no genetic relationship whatsoever between Gecko and Safari.