The former head of GCHQ has called for an end to the government handling crises over WhatsApp, saying the platform might suit gossip and informal exchanges but is inappropriate for important decision-making.

Sir David Omand, who ran the UK intelligence service before becoming the permanent secretary of the Home Office and the Cabinet Office, criticised the way government was conducted in the pandemic and said future crises should be handled with “proper process”.

• HelloThere@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Pretty much every work contract I’ve ever had has had clauses in which would make this sort of behaviour gross misconduct, and a fireable offence.

And that is before we even get to destruction of evidence, obstruction, and failure to keep appropriate records whilst in public office.

How these pricks aren’t being led out by their ears is, well, it’s an overt example of rules for thee and not for me, but it still boils my piss.

• Cras@feddit.uk
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Agreed. My employer was fined $200MM last year for not doing enough to enforce a ban on using personal channels like WhatsApp for conducting business, purely because they’re not auditable. What really needs to end is the complete lack of accountability in government for completely flagrant rulebreaking and corruption. No, we won’t have an inquiry followed by a slap on the wrist two years after they’ve left office. We’ll have an immediate enquiry followed by a by-election if rulebreaking was found to have deliberately occurred.

• brewery@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Exactly! I would be fired for sending one message over personal devices from my work at a private company. My friend is a social worker for a council and would be struck off for life for sending one. These are clearly told to us, reinforced regularly and lets be clear, it is so easy to follow!