The special efx haven’t gotten more expensive, cameras haven’t risen in price, writers don’t seem to be demanding particular high prices, netflix takes anything that you can pitch without saying the word disney.

So what in the world happened? X-files was an amazing show and watching it you are not only entertained but you care about mulder and scully. The show is genuinely a great time. Why did they stop making them like this?

• Alexstarfire@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m in the middle of rewatching X-Files yet again. It’s really hit and miss, even in the good seasons. I think people remember all the good episodes and forget about the bad and average ones.

You looking for a new X-Files type show? I can’t think of any good ones but I don’t really look for that type of show anymore either.

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’d have to agree. I’m working my way through it again and got stuck on season 5 because I’m not really interested in the whole convoluted “aliens abducted Scully and Mulder’s sister but also maybe they weren’t really aliens” plotline. The monster of the week episodes were the best. I didn’t remember til this point how much I disliked this part of the show last time, and I’m really not looking forward to hearing “Agent John Doggett” 42 times per episode a couple more seasons from now.

• sighofannoyance@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Not neccessarily x-files related, just of the same quality and make. Something that is as entertaining as watching xfiles.

• quackers@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Mr Robot. Rewatching it now and x-files rewatch is next on the list.
        Maybe Lost but you gotta kinda vibecheck if it’s your thing. And Stranger Things also has the whole mystery vibe going.

• jwiggler@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

There are a lot of weird cringey exchanges in this show similar to this that end up being stylized writing to trick or subvert the viewer. You should continue watching

• Granixo@feddit.cl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Honestly i laughed at the joke.

I only saw the first episode.

I then gave myself an summary spoiler and didin’t like at all the way the story went on.

• quackers@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Well, you’re missing out. You want a show with an accurate portrayal of hacking and tech culture? Good luck, it doesnt exist. But at least this show tries to use legitimate tools and techniques used in the real world.
            It’s also not what makes the show interesting though. I can understand if it’s not your thing but this scene should not be the deciding factor.

• pelotron@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Oh please don’t let this keep you from watching this show. This show has at least two of the best end-of-season reveals of all time (first and last season).

• rustyricotta@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I’ve never seen x-files, but it does get brought up a lot in conversation about Fringe (one of my favorites). Fringe starts off as {insert scifi thing} of the week, and then the plot starts to develop later. I recommend giving it a shot.

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Supernatural seasons 1-5 are some quality monster of the week episodes. I never watched past that point because it was a fitting conclusion and I heard the show went off the rails after that.

Star Trek (TNG, DS9, VOY) would also be quality serialized shows.

What type of stuff do you like? I see down below you stating your dislike for modern popular shows.