Article in case anyone wants to read it

• MIDItheKID@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

“Guy who works in food service admits that he went to work sick and likely spread it to hundreds of people because it’s the only way he could make ends meet, and now he can afford a house but not because of his hard work, but because it went viral on the internet.”

What a heart warming story.

• T156@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It kind of mirrors the story of Typhoid Mary in a way, where it’s thought that one of the reasons why she kept going back to work as a cook, spreading Typhoid fever, was because she was homeless and on the verge of poverty.

Presumably, if she had been offered an out that wasn’t being institutionalised, and locked up on an island for indefinite quarantine, or risky surgery, she might have taken it, and the story would have never panned out.

• TheKingBee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I don’t know if I like this interpretation, I mean it’s true and i don’t like it, but it puts blame on him for the fucked up system… With the shitty pay and hours of fast food we don’t know if missing even one day of work means he couldn’t pay bills.

Even in an ideal fully automated luxury gay space communist society, nothing is ever truly completely automated, you’ll need some people you can count on to be there to push the buttons every day. This is one of those people, our society just wastes him.

• MIDItheKID@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I’m not trying to put the blame on him. I’m more trying to say that maybe he should be paid enough to afford housing and his job should provide sick days and maybe even Healthcare. This guy was grinding himself to death while putting others at risk just so he could get by. That’s not his fault. He was doing what he needed to do to get by. It’s messed up that he had to do that.

• TheKingBee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Despite what I said, I got that.

IDK, it was tone policing I should have phrased it better.

• reksas@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Another reason why everyone should stay clear of places that exploit workers, it could be you who orders food when someone had to come work sick.