• CoolYori [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

The trick to not being cringe is to deny its an actual thing. Cringe culture is basically about punching down, and if people use it against me so be it. They are bullies anyway and I dont have time for that. I just turned 39 and do you know what I bought myself for my birthday? Some fucking Pikachu crocs:

They also had some light up motion sensitive Pikachu croc charms that i have added to the backstrap so when I walk I complete the I’m 10 and love Pokemon look. I wear mostly t-shirts with ether Trains, Brony shit, Pikachu, or some other furry crap on it. I have super limited interests when it comes to my fashion and no motherfucker is gonna stand in my way.

And do you know what I get mostly from people when they see me confidently wearing my fit? They love it and complement me on it and even if they are doing it sarcastically its not like my autistic ass is gonna understand.

• roux [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

If wearing a GShock is cringe, I don’t wanna be not-cringe.

If you are seriously asking tho and don’t do a lot of outdoors stuff, opt for an atomic model because it’s cool as fuck but don’t bother with solar. The idea is neat but I have to toss my in the window every couple of months for a few days to charge. It’s supposed to charge from ambient light but it’s not great.

• roux [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I totally even knew that going in but was like replace it in 8 years or 10 like it’s some sort of fiscal big brain decision.

The biggest fuck is that my cheap ass Casio from Walmart that can’t keep time worth a shit without fixing it once a week is 10x more comfy to wear. I type on a keyboard that doesn’t have a case so I can rest my palms in my deskmat and with that watch on you can’t even tell it’s there but with the Sqaure I can feel it pressing into my wrist just enough to bug me.

• Melina [they/them, fae/faer]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

My father beat me “to an inch of my life” after I asked to wear his g shock but forgot and got in my cousins pool and the battery reacted with the clourine in the water

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

While people are sort of right about how life’s too short to be worried about cringe, cringe does definitely exist, and people will always unfortunately judge you for things.

If you’re a self conscious person, but you’re happy with the way you’re experiencing life, then continue to live life in a way that you’re comfortable. I’m confident, but I’m also quite self conscious, and on the whole enjoy being quiet and humble, watching the world go by. I like to blend into my city’s mid toned navy, brown, green and grey colour palette. As such, and I don’t mean this as an insult, I personally would not be most comfortable wearing such a brightly coloured (garish, perhaps) watch, nor the Pikachu crocs somebody posted.

It really depends what vibe you’re trying to put across. Fashion can be a signifier of interests and subcultures. I could probably sort my workplace by fashion and it would directly correlate friendship groups, music taste, and so on, without anyone of them really intending on wearing a group signifier. This G-Shock watch, I am sorry to say, by my harshest judgment, could be sorted into the harry potter/funko pop adult fashion category.

At the end of the day it’s about how you want to be seen, and what makes you happiest to wear. But to be frank, yes, a big red G-Shock could be considered cringe to those who are cringe-inclined. To those who aren’t cringe-inclined, it’s just a big fun colourful watch. One can only respect the boldness.