Hello, just wanted to let you all know how to fix a dead headlight on the 1st gen Volvo S40/V40. Maybe even other similar models. This is in the event that your bulb and fuse are fine. The headlights are automatic and wired to a relay.

Some genius decided to make the auto headlight relay soldered onto the CEM module under the steering wheel.

You can find it after stripping the plastics, and it should be clearly labeled in some corner.

Opening it reveals all these relays. You need the center 2. They are 12V SPDT 1 form C. The center is for the right headlight, and the one next to it (the orange one I put there) is for the left headlight.

Barely a buck/euro in parts cost. My fingers froze while opening the car though.

Of course, Volvo could have made these easier to replace, but they did last a fair bit either way.

• vivavideri@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

My first car was a 1989 Volvo 240. The odometer was broken when we got it. I finally googled it a couple months ago after seeing a few online that also had a broken one – turns out there’s a little shit plastic gear that breaks after long enough and if you’re gentle, not an impossible fix. Volvos amirite?

• roterabeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I strongly believe that a solid way to attract more people would be to expand the amount of specific information available in the community. Soo you’re welcome ¯\_(ツ)_/¯