United Airlines has found loose bolts and other parts on 737 Max 9 plug doors as it inspects its fleet of Boeing jets following the Friday rapid depressurization aboard an Alaska Airlines jet of the same make, according to three people familiar with the findings.

The discrepant bolts and other parts on the plug doors have been found on at least five aircraft, one of the people told The Air Current.

A Boeing representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration declined to comment on the United findings, and pointed to the agency’s earlier statements.

United confirmed the findings in a statement, saying, “Since we began preliminary inspections on Saturday, we have found instances that appear to relate to installation issues in the door plug – for example, bolts that needed additional tightening. These findings will be remedied by our Tech Ops team to safely return the aircraft to service.”

• Szymon@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Planes nosediving because they incorrectly think they’re stalling, bolts randomly falling out of critical hardware… sounds like I’m not flying Boeing anytime soon.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I’ve always had the impression that airbus is much less in the news, which is probably a good sign.

Plus generally bean counter MBAs don’t have quite the authority over engineers as they do in America.

• HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

From my experience as a mechanical engineer, the quickest way to ruin a product, brand, and eventually company is to get those MBAs and finance-types in charge over the engineers.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

In theory Transport Canada has one of, if not the strictest standard in the world but they automatically approve anything approved by the FAA and the FAA’s approval process is getting messy…

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

if they found issues besides what they were looking for while inspecting a specific area, imagine what a full inspection could bring. yikes.

• GombeenSysadmin@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Oh shit it’s the casting mount, not the hinge retaining bolt. That’s 99% certain to be Boeing’s fault, not the airline. They’re going to try to say it was the airline because they opened the door to install the WiFi, but they wouldn’t have touched that bolt.

• Fades@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Between this shit and the whole counterfeit airplane maintenance parts, my trust is wavering

• JohnDClay@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Do we know when the plug doors are installed? Is it in the main factory, or at a later finishing stage? If it’s later, hopefully the issue is contained to those facilities. Otherwise, they’re looking at serious general quality questions.

• GombeenSysadmin@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

They’re installed by Spirit who manufacture the airframes, which are then shipped to Seattle for assembly with the wings. No-one will have removed those bolts since manufacture. There no need to touch those bolts for the mechanics to open the door, so the airline opening it to install the WiFi seems like a red herring.

• DarthBueller@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

What do you mean Spirit manufacturers the airframe? Spirit is an airline, Boing is the manufacturer, right? I thought all Spirit does is maintenance.

• RotatingParts@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

As companies make profit their number one priority, we will be seeing much more of this kind of thing … that is until inspections are cut back in the name of profit.

• fidodo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Some dumbass executive:

“We need to show our investors more profit, why is the quality control expense so large? We haven’t had quality control issues in years, slash it!”

• Ahri Boy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

People might boycott 737 MAX unless Boeing addresses the problems seriously. I would take extra precaution if I board a 737 MAX. Airbus models seem better in quality than Boeing’s.