I’m currently struggling to find my home. I have an account here at lemmy.ml, where most of my posts are, and one at kbin.

Why do you think your instance is the place to be?

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I just picked lemmy.one mostly at random, but also in part because it advertised itself as well regulated but also not heavily populated and thus prone to crashing with the recent influx of reddfugees.

Seems to work okay, but I can’t create a community without admin approval and the instance also disallows downvoting, and I’m not a big fan of that at all, but I’ll give it a while longer and see.

I’m still finding it a challenge to find the balance of communities that interest me I used to have. There’s an awful lot of meta chatter about the site itself from new users that, while I understand, gets rather annoying when it takes up the whole feed. So it’s definitely an adjustment, resulting in me using it less than I did my old haunts, but in the meantime I’ve gotten a lot more reading done than I used to, so I’ve got that going for me.

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Me, I’m waiting for things to settle a bit and see what recommendations float to the surface for me. Not being able to downvote might turn out to actually be good for my own mental health. We’ll see.

• Fmstrat@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I didn’t come here to have my options limited. I’d stay on Reddit if that were the case, and I don’t need another YouTube “remove dislike for my own good” moment.

Context: I rarely used downvotes on Reddit, but there were also pretty involved mods. I could see in this federated world a bit of wildness, and not being able to snuff out the misleading with downvotes could be an issue. I hope I rarely use it here, too, but it will only take not being able to once for it to be a deal-breaker.

• ganksy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I chose lemmy.world solely on the fact it had a lot of members. Lemmy.ml was a contender too. I just wanted to jump in and check things out. Knowing (slightly)more now, I don’t think it was a bad choice.

• Sploosh the Water@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Randomly came across mine. Was gunna join a larger instance just for testing, but it was right as the big Reddit rush was happening and my signups kept failing.

So I went with this one.

• SinJab0n@mujico.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I actually made my home in the one hosting a previous reddit community I was fond of, just choose one u like.

• BrainisfineIthink@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have four!

Beehaw was my first, when I joined it was 3rd or 4th most users, but had just been upgraded (per a pinned post) and had a cool community vibe. This was like a few days pre protest I think?

Lemmy.one got made on the first day of the mass Exodus, and beehaw was STRUGGLING. I knew the mods were a small team and the server wasnt able to keep up so I went to a less populated instance.

Reddthat.com is new and I haven’t used it yet, I went there because it seemed middle of the pack, and I wanted to have an account where I create a community.

And then lemmynsfw is for…actually, I miscounted I only have three accounts.

• simple@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Lemmy World is run by chill people with experience. They run Mastodon.world, which is a top 10 Mastodon instance.

Since the start it’s been the most stable instance I think, they bought a beefy server after all the Reddit shenanigans and aren’t imposing any weird restrictions. Would recommend.

• sharp sphere@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. Finding an instance with the best community or matching interests felt silly when everything is changing quickly and discovery is still underbaked. I went with Lemmy.world because they seemed like the most capable admins.

• sleepyTonia@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I tend to hang in indie game development subreddits and didn’t want to have to deal with confrontational trolls on a regular basis, so programming.dev felt like a relatively safe choice since it’s neither a super large server or a general-purpose one. I just wanna make lil’ games and have little patience for those lacking in empathy and maturity.

• SavvyWolf@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I joined Beehaw early on when things where a lot quieter because I liked what they were trying to do (and back then there were only like two instances, and I didn’t want to put more load on lemmy.ml).

Joined sh.itjust.works to make a community after the sysadmin just casually walked up with a huge server, which is a level of swagger I can get behind. I’ve since moved to this as my “main” account since Beehaw defederated with lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works (which sucks, but is understandable).

May move again to pawb.social at some point, although that means people will know something about me. :P

Edit: And now pawb.social has defederated with sh.itjust.works… I’m getting more and more tempted to just roll my own personal instance just for me…

• hotdogcostanza@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

lemm.ee said it was newcomer-friendly and I was a newcomer so bingo bango there I went. I suppose I can always join a different instance if I need to but I’m still just getting a grip on this place so I’m good for now.

• nebula42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i moved over to lemmy.world after i heard somewhere that lemmy.ml was run by a tankie and had been censoring proof of the tiananmen square massacre. idk if it’s true or not, but I didn’t wanna take any chances.